George & Mildred Page 8

Quote: Chappers @ 25th January 2017, 11:28 PM

I sort of enjoyed it but I always thought that Brian Murphy was a useless actor.

:O go to your room with no tea.

Still rotating the box sets and am back on G&M, and so far haven't seen one that I don't remember. Just had to post this though after last night's episode when George goes behind Mildred's back and tries to sell the house to finance a Jerry (Roy Kinnear) money making scheme, and Mildred finds out finally what is going on - storms from kitchen to lounge where George is reading the TV Times and mutters to himself "The Big Fight followed by General Hospital"

Laughing out loud Love it, love it!! That is soooooo funny.

I am really missing it

:(

Something I have noticed with continuity in the 3rd series titles, which shows them in their respective back gardens - it shows the Fourmiles living on the left whereas in the first series, which is shown from the front of the house, the Fourmiles are in the right hand house. :S

And just to complete my sad life of nerdery (?) I noticed that when the Fourmiles (and the Ropers for that matter) open their front door it shows a row of houses adjacent to their property, which is wrong as there aren't any.

You'll be saying it's not real life next.

It's not real life of course.

See what he did there?

Yeah....................... :S (the man's a fool - or a genius)

Quote: Will Cam @ 11th February 2017, 9:27 PM

I am really missing it

:(

It's often on ITV3 in the afternoon around 4 or 5 o'clock and should be on catch up.

Quote: Chappers @ 16th February 2017, 9:22 PM

It's often on ITV3 in the afternoon around 4 or 5 o'clock and should be on catch up.

Follow the thread Chappers - like me, Will was watching the box set but has now finished it.
Unimpressed

Boo Hoo Teary I've finished my box set. Oh dear, that was so good - absolutely love Brian Murphy.

Fans of George & Mildred might enjoy this erudite analysis (by a poster on the Cook'd and Bomb'd Forums) of what made the series so good (and why it has been unfairly maligned by some): http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59545.0

Thanks for that, Kenneth. A really interesting read. Very erudite, as you say.

I don't think his analysis of the weakness of the film being to blame for the series' poor reputation is wholly accurate though. I dare say it plays a part, but all comedies of the era and style suffer the same fate; moreso when they're ITV programmes. Some people even fail to recognise Rising Damp, such is their ignorance and willingness to tar all studio sitcoms with the same brush.

Quote: Kenneth @ 21st April 2017, 1:16 AM

Fans of George & Mildred might enjoy this erudite analysis (by a poster on the Cook'd and Bomb'd Forums) of what made the series so good (and why it has been unfairly maligned by some): http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59545.0

Yes, an excellent piece, apart from :-
"............................and the genuinely touching series finale, the Seven Year Itch, with Patsy 'Lil Potato'"
Having just watched it - no it wasn't, it was called "The Twenty Six Year Itch"

And the " She died of liver failure on the 24th August 1980, just four days after her fifty-third birthday, with her screen husband at her bedside.
That is so poignant. Teary

And further down, "And of course Nicholas Bond-Owen, for not making Tristam too obnoxious." Yes

I still love the show and if I see it's on, I make sure I watch or record it.

The one with Mildred's birthday still makes me howl.
She thinks he has bought her a new ring but he has bought her a yellow budgie (for himself really)
She asks for clues like 'what colour is it? - sort of yellow
'Will it go on my finger?' - Yes, with a bit of persuasion

Great writing.