What are you drinking? Page 171

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 19th April 2017, 10:03 AM

I'll call round and have one with ya the next time I'm 'down the smoke'

Whoops!
Sorry, too late.

I'm drinking a few cans of Firestone Walker's wonderful Union Jack IPA in my neighbor's garage. It's 90F/32C and sunny. Perfect.

My friend is in New York for a week - he posted the beer list in a bar there.

Old Smuttynose Brown Dog for me PLEASE

Just poured a pint of King Goblin at 6.6 % into my Hobgoblin Unofficial Beer of Halloween 2016 orange decorated glass.

Boddingtons draught bitter.
A beer i thought was dreadful as a young man
I remember having a pint in Blackpool and leaving it > so bitter.
Your taste changes as you get older and the bitterness is now the essential part.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th February 2018, 6:31 PM

Boddingtons draught bitter.
A beer i thought was dreadful as a young man
I remember having a pint in Blackpool and leaving it > so bitter.
Your taste changes as you get older and the bitterness is now the essential part.

I like the creamy taste of Boddingtons and they did some good adverts with Melanie Sykes. Ahhhh Melanie Sykes :D

If you like bourbon then Jim Beam Devil's Cut is worth a taster. It says on the bottle "extracted from the barrel walls" and it's even more woody than Jack Daniels.

On yes, the creaminess too.
Not a fan of bourbon but I am a whiskey man.
Glenmorrangie being my favourite.

Last night I went to help a friend with a computer issue and she and her husband served me several cans of Hopadillo, a couple of shots of Bulleit bourbon, and a nice ribeye steak.

I just poured myself a pint of my most recent homebrew. It's a delicious bitter modeled after Harvey's Sussex Best. I ordered some yeast from the UK that's supposedly sourced from the brewery.

Looks good for homebrew, obviously got a sophisticated set up with a filtering system that works. Homebrew kits like I used years ago made the beer very cloudy even when bottle conditioned.

Having a lovely glass of Lancaster Bomber, a full bodied amber ale which goes down very well any time of year unless you're from Dresden ofcourse. Very nice and quaffable. I like our other two war plane named ales but not any old time. Swordfish is a beer only for our current climate, a dark winter ale with a slosh of rum in it, a proper Navy beer. Will have to get some more in before it warms up. Spitfire's nice when I'm in a bitter mood but Golden Spitfire's more to my taste now.

All three are credit to their namesakes which bashed the Bosch in WW2 and like the defeated Germans' Mercedes badge motif encapsulate our own mastering of land sea and air in the war, the Lancaster smashing German cities to smithereens, the little Swordfish taking out the Bismark in the Atlantic and the Spitfire ruling the skies in Europe. Three cheers for these three beers.

No filtration system for my homebrew. I use Whirlfloc for fining in the boil kettle, and a little gelatin in the keg. Couple it with a few weeks of cold conditioning and most of my beers are crystal clear.

I like Spitfire and Bomber!

Shouldn't really but I'm drinking another pint of Hobgoblin. They are my favourite brewers. Arrowaine is really nice.

Have a look at their great merchandise.

https://www.wychwood.co.uk/shop/clothing/

Josh Widdicombe wanted real ale in Room 101 this last week and was very scathing about it all, including home brew I seem to remember, and none of it as good as a nice crisp glass of lager. Cool

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09rdj9k/room-101-series-7-episode-4

Quote: Chappers @ 11th February 2018, 9:41 PM

Shouldn't really but I'm drinking another pint of Hobgoblin. They are my favourite brewers.

Some of their beers are available in the States and I've liked the ones I've tried. Good stuff.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th February 2018, 12:07 AM

Josh Widdicombe wanted real ale in Room 101 this last week and was very scathing about it all, including home brew I seem to remember, and none of it as good as a nice crisp glass of lager. Cool

I don't have anything against a nice lager, and a light lager is a rather difficult style to perfect, but in my opinion classic British ales are near the pinnacle of the brewing arts. Flavorful, yet not too strong, they're my favorite beer. But I'm happy to see American styles making inroads in the UK, because we brew some amazing beers. More = better, in this case.

I didn't see Josh but I understand how Lager boys react to Real Ale drinkers - although as the Hobgoblin says -

"What's the matter Lager Boy? Frightened you might taste something?"

I only drink lager if I'm in a country which doesn't have decent beer.