Carry On Abroad Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ June 28 2013, 12:31 PM BST

You seemed to imply in your previous post that you'd not seen the films in years?

I don't think I've watched one all the way through since the 80s
But I watched a few compilations of bits not long ago.
But on the whole it's not my favourite style of humour I suppose, so I'm no expert.

I liked that Sid & Babs thing they did with the Aunt out of Grandma's House.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 28 2013, 1:16 PM BST

That's why I disliked Camping - and perhaps Abroad. Whereas Loving and Girls were great.

In my teens I was a completely pompous ass, posing as a smug dilettante, miles above the riff-raff who would stoop to making sexist remarks. In my twenties, I focused on suave hedonism.

Finally I have matured. If walking down the street now and I see an attractive woman with extremely large breasts, I will get out my phone and text message a friend, saying: "Just saw a woman with an enormous pair of tits."

Truly, you have achieved wisdom. I feel a haiku coming on.

Quote: Aaron @ June 28 2013, 3:37 AM BST

Completely disagree. If suggestive humour and innuendo is not your taste then you're obviously not going to like the majority of the Carry Ons, but the CO films of that type are the absolute best quality, top of their game. They achieve what they intend to with aplomb.

Completely agree. The scripts are nowhere near as bad as people like to make out. The performances could not be bettered. Even if you refuse to be seduced by the sexism and vulgarity there are lines that will make you laugh.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 28 2013, 10:59 AM BST

Phwoar look at that Sid! A woman with big Tits
Hilarious

Which film is that from?

They are a charming nod to an age of saucy seaside postcards & heartwarming sexism.
The Comedy talent is often excellent, Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Kenneth Connor, Joan Sims, Hattie Jacques, Frankie Howerd etc.

But they also have the likes of Terry Scott & Jim Dale gurning their way through some awful dialogue & contrived scenarios.
I'm not a fan or an expert but I still maintain that the Carry On Films are decidedly ropey to say the least.

I do think I should watch one all the way through again though just to be sure.
Which ones are the least painful?

Not that you asked, but the most painful is Carry On Cowboy. Just make sure to avoid that one.

If it's pain you're after I recommend Hot Fuzz.

I like Carry On Cowboy - Kenneth Williams is great as a judge, with one of the weirdest accents you've ever heard. Khyber and Screaming are the best, in my opinion.

Quote: beaky @ June 29 2013, 11:06 AM BST

I like Carry On Cowboy

Likewise. Zooo's dislike and my defence already covered here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/107/11#P636344

Carry On Cowboy was, I believe, Sid James's favourite. In fact I think it was his single favourite role ever.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 29 2013, 1:06 AM BST

I do think I should watch one all the way through again though just to be sure.
Which ones are the least painful?

An impossible question to answer, as they vary so much and you're quite clearly disposed against them.

As you're not keen on innuendo, you might want to begin at the start of the franchise with Carry On Sergeant. Carry On, Constable is a wonderful piece of cinema, still pre-innuendo laden heights, and Sid's first appearance. Carry On Cabby is a favourite of many.

Carry On... Up The Khyber is perhaps the best of the saucy bunch, but there really are plenty of candidates, depending on your taste. Spoof, historical, medical, satire.

Many people also rate Carry On Cleo and Carry On Screaming, although I don't much care for either.

But you'll have to decide for yourself. Look through our list of the films and see if any take your fancy: https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/group/carry_on/

Just watching this on ITV 3. Very enjoyable. June Whitfield is very MILFy in it.

I've rewatched this recently, and find it highly enjoyable as an ensemble romp. (Perhaps in past critique I confused it with Behind) Peter Butterworth finally given a slightly meatier role than usual, while poor Charles Hawtrey seems to be playing himself. The crescendo ending was not quite that of Loving but fun nonetheless.

I'm fond of them all, but for me, Constable, Matron and At Your Convenience are among the top ones.

Also, Carry On Emmannuelle has its merits - it might have been the last of the originals, but it's by no means the worst. I think that particular accolade goes to Carry On England.

The last good one in the series. Some fine gags-"Meet the wife, don't laugh!" and "your only daughter, I presume"- bloody priceless

Quote: beaky @ 29th June 2013, 11:06 AM

I like Carry On Cowboy - Kenneth Williams is great as a judge, with one of the weirdest accents you've ever heard.

Yeah makes me larf thinking of it. Laughing out loud See. What westerns he'd been watching I do not know ha ha. And if you don't like westerns as many don't then you won't like Cowboy, but it's a little cracker imo.

Back on topic, Abroad - I've commented on Abroad loads but strangely not on the Abroad thread. :S There's either a lot of off-topics going on or there's a lot of Carry On threads. :) Anyway it's one that's grown on me since thinking it awful nearer the time. Ray Brookes as a dago bar tender just did me in but now adds to the shipshod charm of them all.

The regulars seem quite relaxed enjoying this casual outing and it must be the last of the usual line up bar one or two like Jim Dale who is my all time favourite Carry Oner and should ideally have been the barman, a tad more Iberian looking than Mr Ben's voiceover, I think. I also love the Jack Douglas cameo at the end in the pub and it reminds me fondly of the days when foreign holidays were an event and people did ask 'how was the holiday?'. A nice little end of series goody and a great reminder of the times, is Abroad.

Another one with all the usual gang, though I see it was the last film ever for Charles Hawtrey.

Usual innuendo between Sid and Barbara which is always a hoot and you have the extra sexual tension with the addition of Sally Geeson and Carol Hawkins, not forgetting June Whitfield oozing "it" too. Lovey

Bit silly in places, but aren't they all and we love them for it - I particularly enjoyed Peter Butterworth as the broken English speaking hotel owner Pepe, with a touch Bernard Bresslaw's "Fakir Off" from Up the Khyber..................

Stuart Farquhar: My name is Stuart Farquhar, the representative of Wundatours.

Pepe: Stupid what? Laughing out loud

Your only child I presume... :)