I'm coming clean. Page 6

What might happen, I suspect, is that those EU citizens who wish to remain and work in the UK, will need to get the same kind of work permits and documentation as workers from non-EU countries.

Though the Irish will probably retain the same freedom of movement to the UK as they have had since long before the EEC/EU.

If they send me back I hope to get at least few months grace to unfill all those potholes I've mended in the dead of night.

The main problem with the whole Leave/Remain fiasco, and it is a fiasco, is that no one knew what to expect before and no one the hell still knows what to expect now. So now, shedloads of money are being spent on a protracted exit, people are judging (hating even) each other depending on which vote they took and the man in the street still has no real power over anything in reality, just as before. Viva politics.

Quote: billwill @ 9th April 2017, 1:05 PM

What might happen, I suspect, is that those EU citizens who wish to remain and work in the UK, will need to get the same kind of work permits and documentation as workers from non-EU countries.

Though the Irish will probably retain the same freedom of movement to the UK as they have had since long before the EEC/EU.

I know a bit about the process of obtaining a work visa to work in the UK, and it's...er, really not easy, and it seems there are not a lot of different types of jobs that are in the "in demand" category. It's definitely not an any-job-will-do kind of thing. Perhaps if you're someone who's already working there pre-brexit, then your employer might be able to make the process go more smoothly and up your likleihood of being able to stay. I don't know. I don't know enough about it.

But I stand (hopefully) corrected that no one actually is going to be kicked out.

Are they hell, this is the UK - we're soft as shite.

What people have forgotten is that there were many Brits living & working in Continental Europe and many Continental Europeans living and working in the UK, BEFORE 1972 !

It isn't some magical feature of the EEC/EU.

Quote: billwill @ 9th April 2017, 6:54 PM

What people have forgotten is that there were many Brits living & working in Continental Europe and many Continental Europeans living and working in the UK, BEFORE 1972 !

It isn't some magical feature of the EEC/EU.

That and the fact other nationals live here, and we equally live in other nations.

Or am I imagining having seen an Australian in London once?

Probably the same bloke I saw once, Earls court, Prince of Tek, barman.

The only time I have felt resentment towards immigrants was on going to citizen's advice bureau with an urgent issue (had been sacked/unfairly dismissed from my job for standing up to a hideous bully of a boss who was making everyone miserable, so I took it for the team, but unfortunately meant I couldn't pay the mortgage so needed to know what my rights were) but it was absolutely bursting at the seams with people from other countries that I decided to go back first thing next morning as I could be waiting all day.

Following day I thought I'd at least get in and get a ticket and just wait, but despite getting there half an hour before it even opened, there was a queue round the block - possibly fifty people or more.

I couldn't blame the people themselves, but it just showed me that things were perhaps so out of control that the indigenous population had been dwarfed into insignificance by the immigrant situation, as it meant I couldn't get near the place.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 9th April 2017, 1:25 PM

The main problem with the whole Leave/Remain fiasco, and it is a fiasco, is that no one knew what to expect before and no one the hell still knows what to expect now...

Those who voted remain knew exactly what they were voting for.

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th April 2017, 8:34 PM

How true.

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th April 2017, 8:34 PM

As did those who voted leave.

Quote: Aaron @ 9th April 2017, 8:38 PM

As did those who voted leave.

How can that be so when the Government had no plans made and hadn't a clue?

Quote: keewik @ 9th April 2017, 8:57 PM

How can that be so when the Government had no plans made and hadn't a clue?

Those who voted to leave were voting to extricate the UK from the European Union political project and return lawmaking to Westminster.

Those who voted for remain were voting the opposite.

Neither can predict future laws, trade deals, or any of the rest of it, no matter where those laws and regulations may be decided. Specific policies were not the choice on offer. The principle of who governs us is what the vote was for.

It didn't sound like that when the man-in-the-street Brexiter was interviewed. I doubt if some of them understood what 'government' is. What usually came out was racism.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 9th April 2017, 7:18 PM

Probably the same bloke I saw once, Earls court, Prince of Tek, barman.

I had a few beers there in 2014. There was a drunken, toothless Irish tramp begging for money and he told me jokes that I couldn't understand. I laughed regardless.