The Liver Birds

Couldn't find an existing thread on this so thought I'd start one!
Anyone else still hoping they will make further DVD releases of this? Only 2 of the surviving 9 series have been released on DVD!

I always found it a bit drippy and wingey- not one of my favourites.

Don't remember one about avian offal, but did like The Liver Birds. :P

I hope Series 4-9 is released. They seem to be dragging them out and taking years between releases. Don't like the way Acorn Media labelled there 2 releases, with Series 2 called Collection 1 and Series 3 called Collection 2. I have managed to see Series 2-7 but Series 8 & 9 it seems just aren't available anywhere.

Bought Series 2 cheap on eBay (perfect condition!) and still as funny as I remember it, and a bonus (!) the first episode had a rare appearance of Ken Platt, who I hadn't seen for years! Used to love his lugubrious face and subtle jokes, and his catchphrase "I won't take me coat off, I'm not stopping" - not momentous but funny in context with his dour voice.

My wife was impressed with my trivia knowledge, when I shouted out "It's Ken Platt!!" ?

But what surprised me (PHEW!!) was the shortness of the dresses/skirts they wore, especially, as it happens the ones you see above in the masthead photo. I remember mini skirts in the 60s of course, but to see them on'telly is well..........I dusen't say. Legs all the way up to their.............

Finishing this last month cemented it in my estimation. I'm a big fan of and apologist for Carla Lane's writing generally but there's something to be said about how deceptively unhinged this is. It's similar to her later stuff but at the same time it's passing itself off as something more conventional than it is.

The depiction of gender as something which is both innate and arbitrary feels incredibly ahead of its time.

It's probably my favourite capital-C Classic sitcom and as Chalky said it's a shame that most of it hasn't been released.