Goodnight Sweetheart Page 23

Actually this was much better than i thought, harmlessly entertaining and with some room for growth

No new series of Goodnight Sweetheart. The BBC in their wisdom have decided not to commission a full series. Hopefully it will turn up elsewhere.

That's criminal the BBC want shot with shit, no wonder its going down the pan. i Also hope its picked up by another channel im fuming here.

It's the most bitter, brutal news, but why was this decision made?

Is it because Porridge requires no location footage? Because there's no 'big name' like Nicholas Lyndhurst who commands a big cheque?

Porridge writers Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais are legends (and the inspiration for Marks & Gran themselves to start writing) so would presumably ask for the same amount of money.

If it's a ratings issue, Are You Being Served was seen by more than Porridge, and neither won its slot like GS did. And GS sent Twitter alight!

Shane Allen was said to be very keen indeed on a new series, even attending the recording and arranging for a good time-slot for it. And he was apparently thrilled with its social media response.

So what the heck happened?

Can't understand this in light of Porridge decision, this was the only revival/ remake apart from Hancock that was half decent and showed some fresh ideas

Not many things surprise me but this knocked me back, I thought it was guaranteed the BBC would give this a full series. Considering the BBC are useless and are sinking faster than the Titanic, I should have known better.

Another thing the people at the BBC said they have their quota of comedy shows well they could bin the likes of Count Arthur Strong/Citizen Khan/Morgana Robinson's The Agency which personally are garbage.

Pilots are rarely picked up - and any revival counts as a pilot, I'm afraid! (Not to quote Arthur Strong, because Alan doesn't like it.)

Have you seen Morgana Robinson's show? Jesus wept. If that's what the BBC classes as entertaining no wonder it's going down the pan.

Does anyone know if another network might be picking this up? I keep looking on Marks and Gran's Twitter but it always seems to be about politics. They said negotiations were ongoing and since then nothing has been heard. I kept the new episode on my planner and watched again recently. It is too good not to bring back.

Keep an eye on their blog instead: http://www.marksandgran.com/blog/ They enjoy (?) politics, hence "New Statesman" series, so that is all they are likely to put on Twitter.

Given they are now focusing on the New Statesman sequel, I think they've probably moved on.

I would love to be wrong, of course.

I very much doubt it will be picked up by another channel now, if anyone was going to take a chance it would have been as soon as the BBC knocked it back, especially off the back of the positive feedback it got at the time. Gutted really, it's my favourite show.

Do you think there is any chance the BBC will change their mind? They have been known to reverse decisions in the past, even if a couple of years down the line!

I very much doubt it simply because GNSH got very good feedback at the time yet the BBC didn't pick it up, so I doubt they will down the line. It really annoys me that they know it had very good ratings yet they wouldn't go with it. I'm surprised another channel hasn't taken a chance on it.