Companies/ Agencies accepting unsolicited scripts Page 2

Quote: crayon1 @ 4th February 2016, 6:11 PM

The frustrating thing is that nearly all Production Companies and Agencies don't accept unsolicited material. Which makes it very difficult for new talent to be found.

This isn't an accident. No one is actually looking for new talent.

It's difficult to accept when you start out producing creative work (of any kind) because it seems ridiculous that producers, agents, TV companies wouldn't be looking for budding geniuses, but they're actually just trying to make money from what's there already in as simple a way as possible.

Many of the people running creative industries have no creativity themselves and don't know how to recognise it. And true genius often breaks the existing structure or is so antithetical to it that it is passed over and ignored.

The last 70 years are littered with examples of this.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 4th March 2017, 11:27 AM

It's difficult to accept when you start out producing creative work (of any kind) because it seems ridiculous that producers, agents, TV companies wouldn't be looking for budding geniuses, but they're actually just trying to make money from what's there already in as simple a way as possible.

Many of the people running creative industries have no creativity themselves and don't know how to recognise it. And true genius often breaks the existing structure or is so antithetical to it that it is passed over and ignored.

Amusingly cynical as that is, it's not true. New talent is always being looked for.

And true genius often breaks the existing structure or is so antithetical to it that it is passed over and ignored.

It depends who they are being true to, really. Being true to themselves may not be required. Ultimately it is a selling exercise, after all.

Quote: beaky @ 4th March 2017, 7:16 PM

Amusingly cynical as that is, it's not true. New talent is always being looked for.

No, it isn't. And if you don't accept this you'll always be unhappy.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 5th March 2017, 6:55 PM

It depends who they are being true to, really. Being true to themselves may not be required. Ultimately it is a selling exercise, after all.

You haven't understood what I meant. The more extraordinary something is, the less likely there will be a supporting structure or even an audience for it.

For example The Czech poet Miroslav Holub is a much better writer than E.L James, but I doubt you're familiar with his work and it hasn't been anything like as profitable.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 10th March 2017, 7:50 PM

No, it isn't. And if you don't accept this you'll always be unhappy.

You haven't understood what I meant. The more extraordinary something is, the less likely there will be a supporting structure or even an audience for it.

For example The Czech poet Miroslav Holub is a much better writer than E.L James, but I doubt you're familiar with his work and it hasn't been anything like as profitable.

My experience tells me differently. I was discovered by a production company,
and am very happy.

The point is this Czech poet didn't try to fit in, Godot. Did he want a mainstream show on BBC? Unlikely. In a way he got what he wanted. It might take some time to find your path, Godot, but you still might.

Quote: beaky @ 11th March 2017, 10:05 AM

My experience tells me differently. I was discovered by a production company,
and am very happy.

Were you though? I suspect you discovered them and then submitted your material.

If I take off my coat and start doing keepy uppies in front of the dugout at my local football club and they give me a place on the team that's not the same as saying the club has a rich scouting network that is scouring the area for exciting new players.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 11th March 2017, 12:06 PM

The point is this Czech poet didn't try to fit in, Godot. Did he want a mainstream show on BBC? Unlikely. In a way he got what he wanted. It might take some time to find your path, Godot, but you still might.

The gist of what I'm saying is encapsulated in the phrase; 'game changing'. Most things referred to as game-changing aren't, but genius resets the clock/breaks the net/changes the game. It's not always welcomed because the audience for it has not yet emerged.

I'm not sure if the path I'm on is mine or not, but I am very far down it. I don't aspire to be a comedy writer incidentally, although in the ten years I've been posting on this forum I deployed enough jokes to have floated a moderately successful comedy-writing career.

Ah - I see what you mean now. You're right, I discovered them.

EXACTLY! And the dumbing down of the masses continues. This is why as writers we should be more diligent and more collaborative with one other to get our own thing done.

Er, you seem to be looking at things from a very narrow viewpoint and complaining about more people seeing things from narrower viewpoints?

Hello forum,

Some very enlightening comments, thank you.

I too have recently scripted a pilot for a refreshingly inventive and satirical comedy that sprang from the masterly world of The Fast Show.

As an actor with an agent, would you suggest I ask him about where I could send it to be read by a significant figure?

Thanks,

Ben

Of course you should.

Quote: Benjamin Coakley @ 11th October 2019, 12:39 PM

As an actor with an agent, would you suggest I ask him about where I could send it to be read by a significant figure?

Well I'd ask him before you ask us, that's for sure.

"I've written a comedy script. What should I do with it?"

All together now . . .

But seriously though, I'm sure your agent will have a few ideas about where to send your script.

Good luck!

Great responses...many thanks.