The Don't RIP Thread! Page 2

I feel you're somehow failing to embody the essence of your forum name.

Quote: keewik @ 22nd March 2017, 11:56 PM

The eulogies are because he turned himself around. We all make mistakes. His were more gigantic than usual. But Northern Ireland is now safer - for the moment.

Fair enough. Organise the murders of hundreds of innocent people and many more with life-changing injuries. Then decide that as you've got no chance of winning you make out you want peace and you're so terribly sorry. Although to my mind did he ever apologise?

Quote: playfull @ 23rd March 2017, 1:16 AM

Is it too soon to enquire about the health of Gerry Adams?

An accumulator - I like it.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd March 2017, 8:49 PM

Fair enough. Organise the murders of hundreds of innocent people and many more with life-changing injuries. Then decide that as you've got no chance of winning you make out you want peace and you're so terribly sorry. Although to my mind did he ever apologise?

I don't think he did apologise. Maybe he believed he'd no alternative. I'm NOT condoning what he did. 'make out you want peace'??? If he hadn't made that effort the strife would have gone on and on. Nobody was winning. The lesson always needs to be learned that you cannot oppress people without them eventually rising up and fighting back - brutally. Think Hitler and Germany as a result of the Versailles Treaty after WW1. Think India shaking free of British rule. And probably many other places.

Think IS?

IS isn't fighting for freedom for a country. They want to impose religious beliefs on the whole world. Totally different concept.

Quote: keewik @ 23rd March 2017, 11:41 PM

IS isn't fighting for freedom for a country. They want to impose religious beliefs on the whole world. Totally different concept.

It's all stupid religious idealism - and I speak as a Christian.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th March 2017, 9:26 AM

I speak as a Christian.

Then waylay the yardarm, Mister.

I was baptised and went to a private and religious school, but I always viewed religion as a fairy story as it was just a book. I later learned that my Father was an atheist who just went along with it.

Consequently, I am agnostic until something can be proved/disproved, as all I saw when growing up was conflict, war and misery caused by different religions alone.

My Father didn't inflict his beliefs upon anyone and kept it personal - as it should be. We laugh at jehovah's witnesses, but their attitude is also arrogantly dangerous as they also believe there should be no tolerance of anyone who doesn't think the same way they do which flies in the face of the whole multicultural world which they/any other religion should embrace or simply accept instead of wasting their narrow-minded and delusional lives by challenging as a battle they can never win.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd March 2017, 8:49 PM

Sorry Chappers but that post is one of the most stupid things I've ever read - particularly the bolded bit. For f**ksake do some reading about the subject.

If anyone is to be thanked for forging peace in Northern Ireland it's the late Mo Mowlam, Secretary of State of NI at the time of the agreement. I personally can't overlook the innocent lives lives lost as result of the troubles, Catholic and Protestant and neither. Did Martin Guinness do the right thing in the end? maybe, but not before leaving a trail of atrocities behind him in the guise of being a 'soldier'. Hmm, can't really stomach that to be honest.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 25th March 2017, 5:32 PM

If anyone is to be thanked for forging peace in Northern Ireland it's the late Mo Mowlam, Secretary of State of NI at the time of the agreement. I personally can't overlook the innocent lives lives lost as result of the troubles, Catholic and Protestant and neither. Did Martin Guinness do the right thing in the end? maybe, but not before leaving a trail of atrocities behind him in the guise of being a 'soldier'. Hmm, can't really stomach that to be honest.

Well said!

I can't remember what it's called but I saw a fascinating documentory about how the Good Friday Agreement was forged and how delicate and at times how dangerous it was. My memory is hazy but it described how one meeting that was held in someones home was so tense it almost caused everything to fall apart. The IRA and Sinn Fein were hardly known for their diplomacy so it must have been like building a house of cards.

Being a Meath man I go to the south a lot but have only been to Belfast once in the 80s. The checkpoints with armed soldiers peering in to cars and bombproof bins in the city centre made it an uncomfortable place to be and it was made worse being in a car with a British number plate. It must be transformed now though.

Mo Mowlam was an amazing woman who was definitely the biggest cog and what a legacy.

That was probably the film about Mo Mowlam.