James Robertson Justice - New Biography

Dear All,

Found this on the web yesterday. A new biography on James Robertson Justice - www.jamesrobertsonjustice.moonfruit.com

It looks excellent. I've always been a huge fan of JRJ. Has anybody read it?

Thanks,

Rob (newboy)

Methinks you might be the author. No shame in promoting your own book. Looks good, but I'm not personally enough of a fan (not that I dislike him, I've just not seen enough stuff with him in) to buy it.

Although I'd be happy to review a copy for the site, if there's any going spare... ;)

Looks good though, and nice on the Pinewood launch. Well done. :)

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2008, 1:53 PM BST

Methinks you might be the author. No shame in promoting your own book. Looks good, but I'm not personally enough of a fan (not that I dislike him, I've just not seen enough stuff with him in) to buy it.

Although I'd be happy to review a copy for the site, if there's any going spare... ;)

Looks good though, and nice on the Pinewood launch. Well done. :)

Guilty as charged!! Gutless twerp that I am. Self-promotion was never my thing..

I don't have any press copies left I'm afraid. I can email you the pdf's if you like?

Cheers!

Certainly. :)

aaron @ comedy dot org dot uk

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2008, 2:15 PM BST

Certainly. :)

aaron @ comedy dot org dot uk

They're on my PC at work. I'll email them first thing.

Cheers Aaron!

Would like to track down a copy, having watched so many JRJ films. Worthy of a revised or new biography, perhaps.

That voice! The Brian Blessed of his day.

What's the Bleeding Time?

I remember Alan Simpson saying he was very disparaging of Ray Galton's Scottish ancestry when they were doing Last of the McHancocks. Something which rankled with him for ever..

Quote: wigwam willy @ 22nd March 2017, 11:37 PM

I remember Alan Simpson saying he was very dispariging of Ray Galton's Scottish ancestry when they were doing Last of the McHancocks. Something which rankled with him for ever.

I can quite imagine that, but as you mention that HHH episode which I love, for many years as a youngster I had it in my head that I had seen this on television and could even remember a scene with him and Hancock standing next to a white picket fence out in the countryside........................BUT sadly it was only ever on radio. :(

The power of radio to conjure up a scene in your mind?

Discussing the McHancock will:-

TH "Legal is it? Signed across a stamp?"
KW (as Scottish solicitor) "Man, it's written on a stamp"

Love it, Laughing out loud

Those radio Hancocks with Sid, Hattie, Bill and Ken are my favourite of all the HHH (radio and TV).

I think before those lines KW says with a sigh to his secretary:
"Pour my lunch back in the bottle, lassie."

Quote: wigwam willy @ 22nd March 2017, 11:37 PM

I remember Alan Simpson saying he was very dispariging of Ray Galton's Scottish ancestry when they were doing Last of the McHancocks. Something which rankled with him for ever.

Makes sense. As according to a review of the aforementioned biography, James Robertson Justice merely pretended to be Scottish:
Justice always said that he was born underneath a whisky distillery on the Isle of Skye in Scotland - when he was actually born in Lee, South London, and was brought up in Bromley, Kent.

Indeed, he wasn't even christened James Robertson Justice - only adding the middle name in his late 30s in order to sustain the myth of his being Scottish.

I had a "Scottish" pal like that in the UK. His parents were Scottish but he was born in Croydon. He later moved to Scotland and was the most vociferously proud Scot, always eager to denounce any non-Scots as mere English.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 23rd March 2017, 12:14 AM

Those radio Hancocks with Sid, Hattie, Bill and Ken are my favourite of all the HHH (radio and TV).

I think before those lines KW says with a sigh to his secretary:
"Pour my lunch back in the bottle, lassie."

I know. I have no idea how many times I have listened to them, yet never tire. Genius writers, genius cast, sheer perfection, and following on from my "McHancock vision", when I listen to them I can see everything - wonderful. :)

Sunday Afternoon at Home (my absolute favourite) - I am there in that room, sitting on a chair in the corner in hysterics. It's a wonder they don't hear me - TH "Do you mind mush, we're trying to do a radio episode here."

Yes, I think most people would pick that one.

When I used to belong to the THAS it came top every time, and yet the BBC questioned whether it would work - only letting it go ahead when G&S persuaded them.