Chuck Berry RIP

One of the greatest of all time. Aged 90, but so sad. Why can't people like him live forever.

RIP Mr Berry.

A genuine pioneering legend. Epic.

Not only a great and influental (arguably the most important ever) rock musician but also one that always had his tongue firmly in cheek.

RIP you rock n roll giant. :(

No more ding a ling - a real individual and a true legend. When they talk about modern artists standing on the shoulders of giants, they are talking about him.

http://www.openculture.com/2017/03/chuck-berry-rip-reviews-punk-songs.html

:)

Saw him in Cardiff in the 70s. His interaction with the audience was zero but it was good to hear those seminal songs by the man himself.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 21st March 2017, 3:16 AM

Saw him in Cardiff in the 70s. His interaction with the audience was zero but it was good to hear those seminal songs by the man himself.

:O You surprise me as all the videos I have seen of him he is the opposite and one thinks of the brilliant interaction he had on the live Ding a Ling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI

Nearly 6 millions views !!

Perhaps he didn't like the wet Welsh weather.

Sad that his only number one is that awful song.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 21st March 2017, 9:18 AM

Perhaps he didn't like the wet Welsh weather.

Or the Welsh..................... Whistling nnocently

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 20th March 2017, 9:12 PM

http://www.openculture.com/2017/03/chuck-berry-rip-reviews-punk-songs.html

:)

Those mini-reviews are excellent. He could have had a regular column in Rolling Stone. This week, Chuck Berry reviews Nirvana's Nevermind: "Sure sounds familiar, the way the guitarist mixes up those chords, like old jazz melodies. And those hands. He's got a touch that most musicians would die for."

This week, Chuck Berry reviews Love Yourself by Justin Bieber: "His harmony ain't anything new, no innovations of any kind. The lyrics are bland and flat, and there's no beat to dance to. Are you sure this was one of the biggest songs of 2016?"

This week, Chuck Berry reviews Drake's One Dance featuring Wizkid and Kyla. "Sounds like the last number. What in the heck is all this featuring stuff? Maybe these collaborations are a business thing, not a music thing. It's almost 2 minutes of video before the singing starts. If you want to tell a story, you don't need a movie, you just need good lyrics."

etc.

Of interest to me is that Angus Young of AC DC viewed Chuck Berry as a tremendous influence (not least in stage strutting style), whereas Brian Johnson of AC DC did not look fondly on him after Berry declined to give him an autograph.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st March 2017, 7:05 AM

:O You surprise me as all the videos I have seen of him he is the opposite and one thinks of the brilliant interaction he had on the live Ding a Ling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaEC-lWSlmI

Nearly 6 millions views !!

5 million of them were by me. I've always carried a large purple torch for the coded knob reference. Let's face it Johnny B Goode is the best song ever written about a prophylactic, although a quick Google reveals that I am the only person in the world who knows this. Amazing. The line 'Johnny b Goode tonight' is as obvious a prayer to durex durability as you could ever find.

Oh well. R.I.P. Chuck, who invented Rock 'n' Roll and secretly videoed women on the can. A road less travelled indeed.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 22nd March 2017, 11:32 PM

Let's face it Johnny B Goode is the best song ever written about a prophylactic, although a quick Google reveals that I am the only person in the world who knows this. Amazing. The line 'Johnny b Goode tonight' is as obvious a prayer to durex durability as you could ever find.

I think you have read something into the title that wasn't intended, and probably given us an insight into your mind. :P Dirty Boy!

I can honestly say that I never ever thought that, and during the time I worked and lived with Americans during the 60s and early 70s I never heard them refer to one as a Johnny. I think you will find it is strictly an English moniker.

In fact, I don't think the Americans (then) had a slang word for one and whenever the subject came up they referred to them as a plain and ordinary prophylactic.

Yes, I know you have virtually admitted this in your post, but I just wanted to ram it home..................so to speak