Inside No. 9 - Series 3 Page 10

And that's before we mention the surprise cameo at the beginning, was not expecting that!

I guess it was payback for Peter Kay having Reece in the back of his car.
So to speak.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 21st March 2017, 11:12 PM

Theories on the ending, anyone?

Lost me.

Quote: zooo @ 21st March 2017, 11:19 PM

I guess it was payback for Peter Kay having Reece in the back of his car.
So to speak.

Yes! Still can't get over how hilarious the outtakes from that episode are.

(Spoilers)

Found the hare, finally! That was a tough one.

I think I almost understand the ending but not quite.

I'm quite baffled as to how all of the murders took place though.

I like that there were 6 players like in cluedo trying to solve the murder mystery. And I like Morgana Robinson's thing with making it to the final 6 in BB8, and saying "at least I made it to the final 5 this time" or something to that effect before getting killed off.

One thing that's puzzling me is what would the mother have done if Steve hadn't whacked Reece over the head when they were about to escape? What was her plan B? She didn't seem too fussed.

It did kind of look like Reece was about to break free from the restraints in the second to last scene, but then what motivation did he have as a character to rip the mother's heart out and pass off her son's art exhibit as his own? And why was the art exhibit an award winning thing and not a crime scene? What could Reece's character's explanation of how the exhibit came about have possibly been that wouldn't have raised suspicion?

...I'm still confused.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 22nd March 2017, 3:11 AM

One thing that's puzzling me is what would the mother have done if Steve hadn't whacked Reece over the head when they were about to escape? What was her plan B? She didn't seem too fussed.

...I'm still confused.

It's that dagger/slash waitress scenario again, and join the club.

Ignoring how the ending worked pragmatically, I'm actually not certain there's any logic to it at all: he couldn't admit they were the reharvested organs of a dead artist, but without that conceptual underpinning, it would be a pretty dumb piece of art (just some organs in jars round a big white head). It certainly wouldn't win the Turner pirze (which isn't given to currently running exhibitions, anyway - it's not like the Perrier, lads).

Also, going back a step, why did most of the vitims even turn up? Sure, a D list celeb and an art teacher might, but a cynical H&S guy and a woman with significant sight impairment would go to a random art exhibition because they got a letter?

It had great gags and a superb cast, so I'm not complaining, really, but I don't think any layer of the story stood up to any scrutiny.

I think -

a) don't get hung up on the details - it's fun folks, enjoy it.

b) It's a vanity project for the writers (this is not a bad thing). They have been given carte blanche and are thoroughly enjoying themselves. This means we get something that is unlike any other current program (this is a good thing). It is not dumbed down by tiers of 'execs' all interfering.

c) It's only half an hour and they have to introduce a set of characters into an original setting and scenario, whilst giving us a couple of unexpected twists. It is amazing given all this that they also manage to put in some subtle layers for us to pick at.

d) It is no surprise that we have favourite and less liked episodes as it is no surprise that these differ between us. I personally loved this episode and did not like the shoe episode. Go figure...

Good points, but leaving holes or even a large hole in the story is no excuse for self indulgence and mocking people's "pedantry", which is what Reece said to Davida's tweet...............or did I misread that. Or do I even know what I'm talking about. :S It's late, I'm tired, I'm old, I should be in bed, I shouldn't be sitting here at this computer............Does it matter? Does anything matter?

Are these my last words.............................. Teary Shit, you never know. In a fortnight's time I could be the subject of the Absent Friends thread. :(

Aww that was depressing Herc! Don't die!

I don't think he was mocking. I think he was right. I only get pedantic about it though because I love it. I don't know if that's a valid excuse. But hey, I'll buy the blu-ray when it's out, and hopefully so will many other loving pedants. Reece should be pleased. I don't think he will be, but what can you do?

Is it a vanity project? I don't really think of it as one, but who knows. It doesn't really matter.

I'm happy with the series as a whole, and sad it's over.

I'll try not to..............die that is. Fankoo. Cool

Quote: playfull @ 22nd March 2017, 10:15 PM

I think -

don't get hung up on the details - it's fun folks, enjoy it.

In case it wasn't clear, let me say I loved the episode, really great fun with loads of good gags :)

But, I do think it's fair, and even inevitable, that we'll get "hung up on details", as this is the tone with which the show is made: not just the whole Tales Of The Unexpected/Twilight Zone nods in general, but in this ep some pretty explicit pointers about murder mystery plotting. I kind of felt as though ratiocination was my job as a viewer, by the midway point.

Added to this, of course, there have been so much clever plotting by these guys in the past, I assume that, rather than finding plot holes, I'm just failing to solve puzzles they'd set (although I did solve the actual puzzle they set in the Grauniad, so go me!).

The shape of this ep made it feel as though there was a big, logical but clever twist, and I'm not sure I got it. And this made it a little less satisfying than if it had just finished on Reece's grizzly death. Same as the restaurant ep, the reveal that it was a scam didn't add up to me (plus I would have loved an escalating half hour of bill-politeness fighting with no justification, but perhaps that's just me).

I don't care that, in the Xmas ep, it's weird that a 70s snuff show is being investigated now and that the police are interviewing the director in such a weird way, nor that there were intriguing ambiguities at the end of the shoe ep, but there is a difference between being unrealistic and logically inconsistent so far as the whole plot goes.

All part of the fun, of course, deconstructing the show like this: I'm already looking forward to the next series.

I'm with you on all of that. And also see Playfull's points. The episode end didn't add up to me, and I felt like it was me not being able to put together the pieces properly and it left me feeling less resolved than I felt with Sphinx or the shoe episode. Still a great episode, and I'd probably have enjoyed it even more if I didn't get hung up on the details, but it is what it is. Really looking forward to more, and I'll be very curious to see what they say about the last episode in the commentaries. And the rest, for that matter.

Fiona Shaw wasn't on my radar but I thoroughly enjoyed her performance...and she's from Cork, like myself, I'd love to see more of her acting.

I never really sweat about the plot and the ins and outs, maybe I'm a lazy viewer...I have yet to bother to look for the hare for instance) but more enjoy seeing it unfold and the tension that's created which I think is what makes it, even in the Empty Orchestra episode, where nothing really came of it, it's the ride that's the enjoyable part.

Tuesdays one had a nice twist at the end with the dead guy turning out to be her son and Reece managing to escape and being lauded an artistic genius but it's the crackling lines that make this series so watchable, loved the Kenneth Williams puns, the "it was an e cigarette" line, the two cornetto's etc etc.

Quote: playfull @ 22nd March 2017, 10:15 PM

I think -

a) don't get hung up on the details - it's fun folks, enjoy it.

b) It's a vanity project for the writers (this is not a bad thing). They have been given carte blanche and are thoroughly enjoying themselves. This means we get something that is unlike any other current program (this is a good thing). It is not dumbed down by tiers of 'execs' all interfering.

c) It's only half an hour and they have to introduce a set of characters into an original setting and scenario, whilst giving us a couple of unexpected twists. It is amazing given all this that they also manage to put in some subtle layers for us to pick at.

d) It is no surprise that we have favourite and less liked episodes as it is no surprise that these differ between us. I personally loved this episode and did not like the shoe episode. Go figure...

You need the details so it makes sense, and why are the BBC pandering to vanity projects?