Newsjack 2017 Page 18

Mike X, I submitted for the first time (having listened since the Miles Jupp days!) last September and got a 'nearly in' email. From that I got invited to the writer's briefing in January. I got nowhere this series, despite avoiding Trump and Brexit, and using every Sunday as my writing day; as suggested at the meeting. So I am obviously in the 'not funny' segment on the pie chart! (It is a great way to get motivated to write though, so looking forward to September!) It looked like almost everyone at the writer's meeting did get on at some point but they invite the 'almost made it' people too.
Don't worry if you do not get invited as they do update the website before the series begins with the tips they share at the writer's meeting. In fact, the notes Adnan sent round after the briefing are almost verbatim what is on the website. Apart from the chuffed-ness of being invited and being inspired by the producers, contract writer's and Angela, you don't get any secret information.

I was always under the impression you needed more than 1 per season to be invited to the meetings. Perhaps 1 per show?

I've managed 1 per season (in both seasons I've submitted) so not expecting an invite. Although I'm sure if they invited me I'd attend, learn stuff, improve, and manage maybe 2!

p.s. Rejects submitted in critique thread: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/33595/

Sorry Steev, I confused the issue. I submitted for the first time on the 5th episode last series and also submitted for the 6th and got a 'nearly in' email for both. So two. God, I made that complicated.

Ello! Has anyone been payed yet from this series?

J x

Beverly Tagg who sends out the dosh has been on leave until today Tuesday 14 March. I got on in Episode 1 so maybe at the top of the queue?? I will report back, which may give some indication. Such fun!

#BeverlyTagg, surely?

Quote: Watch Maker @ 14th March 2017, 6:57 PM

Beverly Tagg who sends out the dosh has been on leave until today Tuesday 14 March. I got on in Episode 1 so maybe at the top of the queue?? I will report back, which may give some indication. Such fun!

Brilliant, thank you! I thought it had been longer this time than before!

J x

Not that it applies to me because None of my jokes were used, but out of interest, how do they pay writers? Do they send a cheque or do they transfer it straight into your account?

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 15th March 2017, 11:21 PM

Not that it applies to me because None of my jokes were used, but out of interest, how do they pay writers? Do they send a cheque or do they transfer it straight into your account?

Straight into your account with a hard copy invoice through the post.

J x

Couldn't they send a virtual invoice through the post?Angry

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 17th March 2017, 1:22 PM

Couldn't they send a virtual invoice through the post?Angry

Ha! Well played

J x

Anyone received payment for this series yet?

J x

Quote: GoWithIt @ 20th March 2017, 11:56 PM

Anyone received payment for this series yet?

J x

Today.

Quote: nabbit @ 22nd March 2017, 1:12 PM

Today.

Me too! Thank you!

J x

And me. Whoohoo!