Possible Satire Site Looking For Founders

Hey everybody.

I've been throwing around the idea of revamping my own site into something a bit more satirical with open submissions. As of now it is a portfolio for my own stuff, but there are so many great minds and I wish to get more entrenched with a great group of writers unashamed and unafraid to write great satire. Pretty much, make friends and build to a common goal.

I've written satire for other sites, but it seems like the same repetitive circles; either everyone is trying to be The Onion or they are trying to be NewsBiscuit - as soon as someone threatens a lawsuit they back down and run away scared. The good news is that I have nothing anyone can get in a lawsuit, and I also love controversy with a purpose and not for the sheer vanity of it. I want to go a little bit deeper than that and broaden the international horizons as America's ass does not rise and set on satire.

So let's get the preliminary pretexts out the way.
1. I'm in America. Hopefully I'll make enough friends so when I escape to freedom I'll have a home across the pond.
2. My current site is http://articulatemadness.com. I do all my own pics/writings/etc.
3. Right now I pay/maintain/webdesign my own site. Some sites hire folk but I tend to do alright as it is also my side hustle.
4. The budget is like crap. I pay the web hosting and all that, but nothing big time.
5. Yes, its unpaid. I'm not even paid. And yeah, I hate that as a writer but I'm just in the curious stages of this right now seeing if there is support/a need to have a different type of platform.
6. If the site's good, definitely I'll have to explore with that advertising genius on how we all can EQUALLY be paid. The entire team has to eat if any one of us is eating.
7. I'm not a quitter. If we start we are going to finish until we come to an amicable end.
8. I'm not Trump. I am actually looking forward to suggestions/commentary/feedback

People I'm looking for possibly:
1. Bold/outrageous/courageous
2. People willing to take chances with their writing
3. Humorists willing to tackle any subject at hand
4. Dependability. If you are going to do something, do it! I'll take on time or early please.
5. Can give and take criticism. As writers, sometimes you're too close to the problem and need the fresh eyes.

I really don't want to have the cavalcade of open submissions like some sites where you just register and there you go. I treat good work seriously and not like a paper mill.

Overall, if we get it going, I want something we can be proud of that enhances our personal portfolios and give us a great home like the guys at SCTV feel they had doing that production (if you get the reference and know their history).

Well. Let's discuss. You can thread here or PM me.Angelic

Update: Due to lack of participation of this thread, I have nixed the idea.

Update: Due to lack of participation of this thread, I have nixed the idea.

After 2 days?
You may be better off with freelancers or similar? Most people don't have portfolios.

Hi Articulate,

Don't be offended by a lack of response.

a) This part of the forum is a little quiet at present.
b) You are asking people for a commitment in time and effort and most of us cannot spare much of either. I myself can barely be arsed to make gags about Trump anymore...
c) I have just visited your site - well done, it looks good and has some smart content - keep it up! But i feel it is very American in content and possibly a little too 'angry intellectual' for people to engage with easily (I might be wrong - just my opinion).
d) It might help to engage with others (and possibly identify potential collaborators) if you pitch in on other threads and offer critique or comment on others work.

Either way i like what you have done and i am envious of your site building skills!

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 14th February 2017, 3:41 PM

After 2 days?
You may be better off with freelancers or similar? Most people don't have portfolios.

Well, I wasn't looking for definites so to speak, more of a discussion just to see if anyone was interested. Based on activity of other threads it looked as if it was being skipped over. I mean, it took me saying I was nixing the idea to get people to respond.

Quote: playfull @ 14th February 2017, 3:46 PM

Hi Articulate,

Don't be offended by a lack of response.

a) This part of the forum is a little quiet at present.
b) You are asking people for a commitment in time and effort and most of us cannot spare much of either. I myself can barely be arsed to make gags about Trump anymore...
c) I have just visited your site - well done, it looks good and has some smart content - keep it up! But i feel it is very American in content and possibly a little too 'angry intellectual' for people to engage with easily (I might be wrong - just my opinion).
d) It might help to engage with others (and possibly identify potential collaborators) if you pitch in on other threads and offer critique or comment on others work.

Either way i like what you have done and i am envious of your site building skills!

Thanks Playful.

I really wanted to see was anyone possibly interested. In the States a lot of people are afraid of doing biting satire. I mean scarily afraid like secret police is coming and throwing them in the gulag. Being as I have a wing named after me in Trump's gulag, it didn't bother me.

a. this is quiet? wow.
b. Well right now I wanted more of a discussion to see if anyone wanted to do it, and just made it be known what I would do if we could get it together. Like I said, I'm trying to get more into outside circles for when I run to freedom. As far as Trump gags...man, I'm living it. It's making the 3 Stooges look intellectual. And yeah, you can't even top it satirically, which is why I wanted to throw a wider net with you blokes and poke fun at something other than the downfall of Rome 2.0.
c. Thanks! It still wasn't what I initially wanted, I was going more Walter Chronkite about it, but more user friendly.
Yeah, its American because I was writing for American sites that eventually put me in the time out box because they were "afraid" of what I was spoofing. I wish I was an angry intellectual, or at least Lewis Black, lol. I just like poking fun in a twisted style of real things that are actually happening, trying to get folks to think about it. Too much Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce influences, lol.
d. where is that part of the forum. I'm still confused as to how BCG works. I still have to google opportunities to get back on here.

I have to say its an interesting idea and wish I had the skills to participate, I will give it some thought. To be honest, and this is not a joke, my eye was drawn to it after an unsuccessful day yesterday at saltfleet, on the haven, google earth it, where I unsuccesfully attempted to catch Flounder.

Quote: Muffinola Fielder @ 11th March 2017, 10:37 AM

I have to say its an interesting idea and wish I had the skills to participate, I will give it some thought. To be honest, and this is not a joke, my eye was drawn to it after an unsuccessful day yesterday at saltfleet, on the haven, google earth it, where I unsuccesfully attempted to catch Flounder.

I did google it, looks beautiful, but if your livelihood is imperative on catching flounder, not so much (reminds me of what the Canadians went through when they outlawed Cod fishing a spell).

Satirize it and feel better. It's dying to become more than just a nice backdrop for a revival of Little Britain. ;-)

Would be interested in helping out with this, please PM with any details. Specifically, let me know what kind of thing you're looking for and I'll fire some stuff off for you.

Quote: Pete Langhelt @ 20th March 2017, 10:59 AM

Would be interested in helping out with this, please PM with any details. Specifically, let me know what kind of thing you're looking for and I'll fire some stuff off for you.

Check your PM.

Now that my site is up for renewal, I'm back to thinking about revamping articulate madness into more of a collective. After careful consideration I really wouldn't want open submissions, just maybe 5-7 regular people that come on and vent their best stuff, and not necessarily political news satire either. Political news satire has been killed over here with Trump's fake news B.S.

Got some ideas....