Hello from Italy

Hello, let me introduce myself.

I'm Italian and I've always loved British programmes, comedy and sitcom. When I was a young girl (in the 70s) we used to have quite a few British programmes on Italian television (Father Dear Father, Man About the House, Doctors on the Go) plus other series like Poldark and Brideshead Revisited (after watching Brideshead Revisited I decided to study English and visit U.K.), so I can say it changed my life in some way.

I remember that, back in the 70s and 80s, I used to like British programmes a lot more than American ones. Unfortunately, starting from mid-80s we haven't had any British comedy in Italy at all (the only programmes shown are "Detective Frost" and "Barnaby" - go figure!).

In the 90s my English friends made me know me know programmes like "The Fast Show", "Alan Partridge", "The Young Ones" and "Only Fools and Horses".

Now I've subscribed to Amazon and watched the first episode of "Fleabag" ... it left me a bit like this puzzled.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks for your attention.

Quote: Mariateresa Costanzo @ 5th March 2017, 9:56 PM

Now I've subscribed to Amazon and watched the first episode of "Fleabag" ... it left me a bit like this ????

It left some of us a bit like "????", too!

I'm not sure quite what you can get to watch on-demand via Amazon, but recent/current programmes more up your street are likely to be My Family, Still Open All Hours, Birds Of A Feather, and perhaps Benidorm.

Thanks Aaron for your reply. I posted a puzzled emoticon, but it came out like three question marks.

I was quite surprised to see how British comedy has changed in the past 20 years, not to mention the explicit sex (I remember the big fuss about the naked breast in a tv ad!).

At what time is shown "Fleabag"?

Fleabag is actually an online show. It got TV repeats at later dates, at I think 10pm.

Quote: Mariateresa Costanzo @ 5th March 2017, 10:18 PM

Thanks Aaron for your reply. I posted a puzzled emoticon, but it came out like three question marks.

Sounds like you may have used an emoji rather than an emoticon, the things that are now built into most phones and tablets? With notable exceptions like Twitter, most websites are unable to display them.

Welcome to the site Mariateresa.

Thanks Will!

I really like British comedy and programmes in general. British television is what made me decide to visit England in the first place (actually, I remember I had an epiphany when I watched a video by the Pretenders and recognized some scenes from "The Avengers". That, together with "Brideshead Revisited", made me want to visit England).