Newsjack 2017 Page 17

Dammit :-(

Yet another blank for me, well done to everyone who got on

Nothing for me this series but congrats to everyone who made it on!

My one-liners this week were on the Oscars (x2), Nokia 3310 (x2), Trump, and Bagelgate.

My dubious maths tells me that I got a 40% success rate this series: 1 to script and 1 to broadcast but I'm still Number Crunching. More importantly it was my first success! Who hoo! This week the lovely Angela referenced all my one liners in her intro so they were not going to be repeated. The claim that the show is written by the public is patently not the case when she has a good half of the airtime. Not that I am bitter. Arggggg!
Looking forward to confirmation of payment, which I will frame, to bolster my fragile writing ego. Must get back to worrying if I am a one hit wonder.

Congratulations to nabbit and everyone who got on this series. Wonder if they'll keep the Number Crunchers for the next run. Seemed a bit limiting.

It is raining here and as the song goes "it might as well rain until September" until Newsjack is back. As I do not want to be climbing or talking to the walls til then, ideas on what's hot to write for?

The sketches were generally good last night but lots of the oneliners were terrible, especially the tediously predictable Spandau Ballet one which was an exact copy of the Piers Morgan and Nesquik jokes from previous episodes. The NJ twitter feed said that fewer jokes got sent in as the series went on and it definitely showed.

Agree with My -Kecks , NJ sketches vg However Breaking news in general was more ; breaking wind , Yes you have assumed correctly , my mega mirth's chuckled their way straight into the NJ waste bin

I wonder how many sketches get through that are regarded as good enough for the show. I would be interested to know if they have a fair number. I realise they have to choose what fits in with the show on the night but I would like to know if they have a lot of 'good enough ' ones (ones that didn't fit in with the show that night but could have made it otherwise). I doubt that I will ever find out but does anyone know? Is anyone there or is it 'back in September '.

Quote: BTF @ 4th March 2017, 10:33 AM

I wonder how many sketches get through that are regarded as good enough for the show. I would be interested to know if they have a fair number. I realise they have to choose what fits in with the show on the night but I would like to know if they have a lot of 'good enough ' ones (ones that didn't fit in with the show that night but could have made it otherwise). I doubt that I will ever find out but does anyone know? Is anyone there or is it 'back in September '.

Thanks Nogget. Saw this once. I could not find it again so that is great. Just being nerdy and I don't know why I am interested in these numbers but I guess this means 15 to 20% possibles very very roughly and it will vary from show to show. So on basis of approximately 500 sketches which NJ say they usually get this is 75 to 100 or so ( very roughly ) that are possibles. I guess out of this number they put on about, very roughly, 4 to 6 on each show of non commissioned writers ( varying from show to show) of the funniest, most original, most topical sketches that fit in with the show. So out of the possibles maybe 1 out of every 20 or so could be a very rough estimate depending on the show. The odds don't seem quite so bad, if a sketch can get in the possible and on to the next stage pile.

Quote: Nogget @ 4th March 2017, 12:26 PM

Thanks for replying. Just noticed Gareth Gwynn said they got 1000 sketches whereas NJ said 500 this series most weeks roughly. Odds not so great on 1000. Maybe then 1 out of every 40 possible/next stage goes on to the show based on 1000.:SWave*;)

This series was a vast improvement on the previous 3 or 4. The quality overall was very high. Some of the one liners were a bit iffy but that is nothing compared to some of the previous series where the one liners were not even topical. I think Angela Barnes is a really good anchor for the show and hope she returns.

I think she's a good anchor. Saw a picture on Twitter implying she would be back. I listened to one previous series and thought most sketches were stronger this time.

Yes Angela was a good host - hope she returns.

They usually have a meet-up with potential writers before a new series starts - right? Does anyone know if the invite goes to everyone who submitted to the show or only people who made it on?

I would assume only those who made it on but others on here will know for sure.