The Sitcom Mission 2017

Launches tonight at midnight...

Here's some info:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/blog/

Hello Declan,

I have a thirty minute script and would like to enter, but have a few Questions.

Isn't writing for fifteen minutes quite different from writing for thirty. for instance you would have to have a more basic plot, simplified characters. If you have to cut down a thirty minute script your going to have to lose most of the plot and ruin what made the script good to begin with.

So should I write a sitcom that is specifically for the sitcom missions or should I cut down my existing script to fifteen minutes.

Thanks.

Hi Kealy

Thanks for getting in touch.

You're absolutely right not to cut down a 30-minute script to 15 because they really feel like a 30-minute script that's been cut down to 15. But if you look at some brilliant US sitcoms like Modern Family, Friends and The Big Bang Theory which can weave three plots with fabulous characters in 19-22 minutes, then you'll see that writing an A and B plot with characters that we'll want to see every week is definitely achievable in 15 minutes.

As a writing exercise, why not create a 15-minute episode for your characters? If you then want to send it to us, we'd love to read it. You can then expand that 15-minute episode to 30 minutes and you've got a second, full-length episode to play with.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Declan

Hi peeps,

I'm planning on taking the gold option, though am on hols March 26 - 7 Apr and doubt I will have email access. What kind of dates will I get all the different feedbacks? I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Cheers

Hiya, we'll always get you feedback within two weeks of sending us either your first draft or your rewrite. You'll need to take Gold or Gold Bullet out by February 28 so that you've got enough time to do rewrites.

Hope that helps.

I think I should be OK then with the Gold Bullet, assuming the below timetable?

1st script sent by 28/02
1st feedback by 14/03
2nd script sent by 28/03
2nd feedback 11/04
final script sent by 30/04

Quote: La Ze @ 23rd February 2017, 12:19 PM

I think I should be OK then with the Gold Bullet, assuming the below timetable?

1st script sent by 28/02
1st feedback by 14/03
2nd script sent by 28/03
2nd feedback 11/04
final script sent by 30/04

Looks about right to me.

Deadline day for gold today! Curious to see how many entries so far? (got mine in nice and early!)

Apparently there have been problems with the Celtx website. Don't panic! We'll take that into account. We're not monsters, you know.

For Gold and Gold Bullet entries we need to have received your entry by midnight on Friday 3rd March.

NOTE: This is the deadline for Gold and Gold Bullet entries. The deadline for the competition as a whole is 30th April.

Hi Simon and Declan,
Is it a good idea to use the 'notes' box on the form for a short treatment, outlining further episodes? Is that what it is designed for? Or are you judging solely on the strength of the script alone? Is there any advantage to adding some notes?
thanks

Hi Merri,

A brief synopsis of the current episode is best, thanks.

A totally different question. I am outside London but want to attend the finals whether or not I get through. Do you have any idea of what week they will be held in (important for travel & work planning)? Thx so much!

Hi Merri

We're looking at the second or third week in October, and should have a date for you around May/June.

Cheers, Declan

Question about Bronze bullet point feedback. Somewhere in the guidelines it says both of you read every script and write feedback yourselves. But elsewhere it says the reports are done by a script reader ( ie. someone who won't necessarily be judging the contest.)
Will the bronze bullet point report come from one of yourselves or someone else? Thx

Hi Merri

Simon and I read every script and have the final decision over the longlist, shortlist and finalists.

We haven't done Bronze Bullet feedback before, so we don't know how many entries or crits we'll have to do. If necessary, we may pass on some of them to trusted and respected script readers to do for us.

Hope that helps

Cheers, Declan