Hated characters in otherwise great comedies? Page 4

Quote: WarmWasp @ 22nd February 2017, 7:29 PM

"So who's from Manchester?"

Freddie & the Dreamers

Quote: WarmWasp @ 22nd February 2017, 7:29 PM

It bothers me (I know it shouldn't!) that in one episode, someone says to Daphne:

"Oh Manchester, that's where the Beatles are from right?"

"Oh no, you're thinking of Liverpool"

"So who's from Manchester?"

"No one. That's why I moved"

I mean...do NOT get me started. '24Hour Party People' is one of my favourite films and there alone is an enormity of Manc acts and cultural icons!!!

Yeah, but ... well, I've never been a huge fan of The Beatles, but nothing from Manchester competes. Not even domestically, never mind internationally.

All Manchester makes me think of is Oasis. Sorry. :/ No one the majority of America is going to associate with a particular city.

Miranda in Miranda-just dont get her (but great in Not Going Out)
Frank and Betty Spencer-too wet to sympathise with (but the physical comedy is fab)
Su Pollard in every role- Not ever being a character, just herself
John Inman-ditto
Patricia Routledge in Keeping Up Appearances- stop showing off
Julie Walters in Dinnerladies-ditto
Melissa Joan Hart-different roles, same character in EVERYTHING
AND THE OSCAR GOES TO..........
Jennifer Coolidge in the execrable Two Broke Girls. Check this "actress" out. The sight and sound of this woman will make you want to bury your TV in a deep dark hole, tear out your eyeballs and stuff them in your ears.

Gasp. You leave Melissa Joan Hart alone!

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd February 2017, 9:04 PM

Yeah, but ... well, I've never been a huge fan of The Beatles, but nothing from Manchester competes. Not even domestically, never mind internationally.

The Hollies - great Manchester band from the 60s that included initially Graham Nash were massive then BUT The Beatles were unique at that unique time and will never be matched as that post war period of baby boomers is unlikely to ever happen again.

I think you have to be of a certain age to really appreciate The Beatles.Before them British music was mainly skiffle or poor Elvis wannabes with their songs written by old farts in Tin Pan Alley.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 23rd February 2017, 12:36 AM

I think you have to be of a certain age to really appreciate The Beatles.Before them British music was mainly skiffle or poor Elvis wannabes with their songs written by old farts in Tin Pan Alley.

Don't know if I would call them poor wannabes (I liked Billy Fury who stood out as one of the greats from the pre Beatle era) and skiffle had its moments with the likes of Lonnie Donegan who has/had many fans amongst some of the great rock legends.

Last of the Summer Wine for William 'Compo' Simmonite, Norman "Cleggy" Clegg, Cyril Blamire, Walter C. "Foggy" Dewhurst, Seymour Utterthwaite, Herbert "Truly of the Yard" Truelove, Billy Hardcastle, Alvin Smedley, 'Electrical' Entwistle, Luther 'Hobbo' Hobdyke, Nora Batty, Walter 'Wally' Batty, Stella, Ivy, Sid, Milburn, aka "Crusher", Chip Simmonite, Big Malcolm Simmonite, Gordon Simmonite, Josie Simmonite, Dolly Simmonite, Eric Simmonite, Tom Simmonite, Mrs (Lolly Minerva) Avery, Babs Avery, Wesley Pegden, Edith "Edie" Pegden, Glenda Wilkinson, Barry Wilkinson, Ros Utterthwaite, Howard Sibshaw, Pearl Sibshaw, Marina, Auntie Wainwright, Clem "Smiler" Hemmingway, Mr Wainwright, Mrs Partridge, Miss Probert, Miss Jones, Miss Moody, Lucinda Davenport, Elijah "Eli" Duckett, Nelly.

The title of this thread is "Hated characters in otherwise great comedies". You therefore clearly consider "Only Fools & Horses" & "Last of the Summer Wine" great comedies.

Yet you hate every single character in them?

They're considered great. I disliked the start of LOTSW. And the end. There was a dip in the middle too.
The funny thing about Billy Bunter is he's always the same age. If you actually count how many birthdays, Christmases and New Year's Eve parties he has - you need a f**king hobby.

Quote: Aaron @ 22nd February 2017, 9:04 PM

But Gracie Fields was almost from Manchester and she was the original Morrissey.

Although Morrissey was Irish and lives on the Continent. That's why he voted for Brexit.

When father's had a snoot full at his pub, 'The Bunch of Grapes'
He doesn't go all fighting mad and getting into scrapes
No, you'll find him in his bear-skin playing Tarzan of the apes
Off the biggest aspidistra in the world
Heaven knows he was the son and heir of two un-jolly japes
One vegan and one batman in a coma, quiff and drapes
Some girls are larger than Brussels girls in union flag escapes
To the biggest aspidistra in the world

Internationalism is so passe.
Nuclear bombs must have their way
Boil the sprouts and hang the DJ
On the biggest aspidistra in the world

Just Good Friends would have been brilliant without the two main characters in it. Wave

You've left your pills off again haven't you. Unimpressed

Denise: the reason for this is because she is a horrible person, leaves everything to Dave. A useless mother, horrible to her brother. I know Jim, shares some these traits, but he does have the occasional lovely moment, and he is funny, whereas Denise is just annoying.

Hyacinth Bucket: Need I say more? Embarrassing.

Captain Peacock: Most of the time, he was a pompous snob. Thought he was better than everyone else. Old values, refuse to work for a woman. Almost cheating on his wife. Unloyal.

Boycie: Found him irritating and thought everyone who had less money than him was a peasant. A complete and utter show off.

Jeffrey Fourmile: A pompous snob, who probably thinks anyone who is left wing is a peasant to him. Hate him, he'd be a very good husband for Hyacinth Bucket.

Edie: A prototype for Hyacinth Bucket. Hate how she used to cover the floor with newspaper. A total and utter snob.

Rik: I hated his character in The Young Ones. I felt sorry for Neil, as he used him as a target. He thought he was the better one in the house, he wasn't, he was the most hated. Just an all round annoying and irritating character.

Quote: Wheel @ 27th September 2018, 10:57 AM

Rik: I hated his character in The Young Ones.

Rick Mayall is a legend. I hate it when a comic dies and everyone goes, 'OH NO: (s)he was what got me into comedy in the first place' - how many epiphanies can you have in one lifetime? - but in this case, it's true. I loved Laurel and Hardy but they're universal (compliment), and then it was Python, but I was too young to understand it and I just liked the idea of whackiness (back then, Python were regarded as cutting edge and not a national institution). The Young Ones was the first show that really grabbed me, and Rik was the undoubted star.