Newsjack 2017 Page 9

Superb Eoin. Best wishes for more of the same.

"Homosexuals are referred to as "people who choose to be gay" in a speech by Jeremy Corbyn, a man who has chosen not to be Prime Minster."

That was my gag.

Is it the done thing around here for people to post their Newsjack rejects? At least two of my one-liners I was really happy with, so I'll share them here (and maybe you can tell me why they actually suck):

1. North Korea's security chief, Kim Won-Hong, has been fired. Worried experts estimate that he flew 500 kilometers before falling into the Sea of Japan.

2. Chocolate bars in the UK are to be made 20% smaller. Now, on his upcoming state visit, even Donald Trump will be able to "p-p-pick up a Penguin".

[update] Just heard the episode (couldn't catch it live). Some good stuff and a couple of proper belly laughs. My life goal is to get a joke on that gives someone a belly laugh.

Well done Nabbit and King - good job getting the credit!

Eoin - that sketch was the highlight for me last night, by far the best one in the show. You should be very proud of that one!

Quote: Stobbart42 @ 9th February 2017, 11:18 PM

Is it the done thing around here for people to post their Newsjack rejects?

Stobbart - it's usually best to put one-liners /sketches over in critique and ask people what they think of them. Otherwise this thread can fill up very quickly on Friday! But people are usually good at replying to them over there.

I agree with Stephen Eoin, yours was the best in another strong show.

I agree - very strong sketch in a very strong show - well done! What lead you to come up with the jam/jelly thing? :)

@StephenM - Thanks for your reply, mate.

I agree that the Jam/Jelly sketch was brilliant. But the biggest laugh for me was the urethra moment. Was that by someone on these forums?

The May/Trump correspondence sketch was very funny. I've just been Googling Luke Kempner because his Trump is so good.

My sketch was the 'Emergency Leadership Hologram'. It was tweaked quite a bit by the script editors. You'll appreciate how much if I tell you (SPOILER ALERT) that the sketch, which featured Tony Blair, was submitted in a file called: "MILIBAND.RTF".

Nevertheless, I could recognise my sketch concept and some of my jokes.

Quote: nabbit @ 10th February 2017, 2:48 PM

The May/Trump correspondence sketch was very funny. I've just been Googling Luke Kempner because his Trump is so good.

My sketch was the 'Emergency Leadership Hologram'. It was tweaked quite a bit by the script editors. You'll appreciate how much if I tell you that the sketch, which as broadcast featured a holographic Tony Blair, was submitted in a file called "MILIBAND_HOLOGRAM.RTF".

Really liked that one, mate.

Two Breaking News for me this week.

First one was the Farages living separate lives, and I figured that would be it because the email doesn't say if you've got more than one thing on. When the Blue Peter time capsule gag popped up near the end it took me by surprise!

Well done Andy. Two nice gags.

Quote: nabbit @ 10th February 2017, 2:48 PM

My sketch was the 'Emergency Leadership Hologram'. It was tweaked quite a bit by the script editors. You'll appreciate how much if I tell you (SPOILER ALERT) that the sketch, which featured Tony Blair, was submitted in a file called: "MILIBAND.RTF".

This was another really funny sketch. The concept is the lynchpin for a sketch I think.

Quote: Bonzo @ 10th February 2017, 12:10 PM

I agree - very strong sketch in a very strong show - well done! What lead you to come up with the jam/jelly thing? :)

I didn't! What I sent in was a fairly brief sketch on the idea and they went to town on it. They kept the bit about Putin coming in at the end (though I can't claim credit for "English Witch" -that was very funny).

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 10th February 2017, 2:50 PM

Really liked that one, mate.

Quote: Will Cam @ 10th February 2017, 6:45 PM

This was another really funny sketch. The concept is the lynchpin for a sketch I think.

Thanks guys!
Yes, it's interesting, reading Eoin's comments too, how sketches can be selected on the concept and then the jokes may be changed. This week I took a chance on everybody being all Trumped out. I included references to several other news stories, so I understand these being replaced as they were covered better elsewhere in other sketches or the intro. I reckoned maybe Miliband was substituted by Blair because either it was deemed funnier or because the performers preferred certain impressions.
It's certainly a learning experience hearing how the sketches get changed; helps with the approach on future submissions.
For example, several pop-culture references seem to get added so I'll be sure to include them in future.

My experience is, even when the edits are substantial, you still get paid for the full duration of the sketch!

Quote: AndyGilder @ 10th February 2017, 6:40 PM

Two Breaking News for me this week.

First one was the Farages living separate lives, and I figured that would be it because the email doesn't say if you've got more than one thing on. When the Blue Peter time capsule gag popped up near the end it took me by surprise!

well done Andy! both great jokes. :)

I am struggling for ideas this week, waiting for inspiration"..............