RIP George Cole Page 3

Hmm not me in every case I have to say, maybe I'm not Mr Average which I can readily agree may be true, ahem. But there are many well crafted sitcoms I love to watch that aren't wildly entertaining, but I just love the quality of writing and/or acting or sometimes just the sit or setting.

To The Manor Born which I'm enjoying on reruns now is good quality dullness in relative sitcom terms. Hesitate to say even the highly regarded WHTTLL is not the most overtly funny of sitcoms if you analyse it in terms of lols but only a complete noodle nut would deny it's a classic. I think there are many more true sitcom fans who appreciate a well made one of any hue than a bunch critics and journos alone. RIP George Cole btw.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th July 2016, 12:20 PM BST

Well of course not. That kind of thing doesn't occur to Joe Average. He's only interested in whether a programme is entertaining or not. The luvvies and media types do moan about such things though.

<struggling hopelessly to sharpen this frayed part of the thread>The point is that Cole's jest that Alastair Sim would have disapproved of Minder is all because of Arthur's character/accent -- and NOT because of any shortcomings in the scripts or production values. Because there weren't any shortcomings.

The Oz and Canadian media may not cut much mustard here, but the press did not sledge Minder in its early years. Some at Thames may have thought it ought not to be renewed after the first series, but Verity Lambert persuaded Bryan Cowgill otherwise.

Press positive:

Despite poor viewing figures in Canada, where let's face it, most of those quasi-Americans wouldn't know quality if you served it to them on a clean plate.

George Cole brilliant RIP Always loved him, yes Blot great stuff must get it myself.

Barry
Please stop resurrecting old RIP threads
We've only just got over 2016

Start a new thread called old favourites we love or something

Not much to do in Penmaenmawr in the winter.

:D