Little Britain's racist, isn't it? Page 7

Quote: KJSmyling @ March 31, 2008, 7:36 PM

Mmmm... might not be a woman.... it might not even be an adult....

kjs

Laughing out loud

Also of course the Indian woman in Little Britain is hardly what you would call overweight.

Quote: Jack Massey @ March 31, 2008, 6:35 PM

Little Britain is definetly not racist, but will be seen as racist by the next generation no doubt.

I think this in an important point, but not necessarily the next generation. There are a lot of people who don't get that the joke is on them and laugh along oblivious because of the (admittedly jokey) racist vibe, missing any post-modern ironic point about racism.

(Sez me, quoting but not really understanding what 'post-modern ironic' point actually is...)

But couldn't that fuel the racism rather than hinder it? However little they've meant to offend.

I've written articles myself where a lot of people didn't 'get' what I was saying and started having a go, and it was basically the irony that was missing in their lives. And, no, they weren't all American...

:)

Dan

While Little Britain is trying to poke fun AT the racists it is too close to the wire and it's pretty obvious that in the UK in 2008 FAR too many people will see the humour in puking on a paki as being the fact a paki got puked on....and nothing more.

If it was watched by 5% of the population then they could claim success but when you have kids quote the lines, dolls for sale in the shops and Christmas specials...you know that a good part of that market has missed the point.

Brass Eye is a great example - I doubt they were ever considered for a paedo toy doll or a Christmas hour long celeb packed special....and those that didn't get it were horrified. If Little Britain re-did the paedo episode in their own way they would end up with 70% of viewers laughing at the fact someone fancies a hot looking 12 year old slapper because...she's a hot looking 12 year old slapper!

(Should add - by close to the wire I don't mean LB is pushing some sort of taste boundary...simply that it is not clear enough who it is taking the mick out of.)

The idiots out there can't be allowed to much influence.

Paedos will wack off over Upsy Daisy's knickers, if there's nothing else.

Racists will watch Goodness Gracious Me, and pause on any points when the actors look silly. Or watch footage of riots in Zimbabwe.

One shouldn't play upto these silly sods. But one can't avoid them either.

Quote: M Lewis @ April 1, 2008, 9:27 AM

While Little Britain is trying to poke fun AT the racists it is too close to the wire and it's pretty obvious that in the UK in 2008 FAR too many people will see the humour in puking on a paki as being the fact a paki got puked on...and nothing more.

Really? It's so ridiculously absurd, I honestly don't think that anyone would see it as that.

If it was watched by 5% of the population then they could claim success but when you have kids quote the lines, dolls for sale in the shops and Christmas specials...you know that a good part of that market has missed the point.

Now this one I disagree with from start to finish. Why does a child wanting a model/doll of a character inherently mean that they don't appreciate that that character is a f**kwit, or racist, or whatever else?

While Little Britain is trying to poke fun AT the racists it is too close to the wire and it's pretty obvious that in the UK in 2008 FAR too many people will see the humour in puking on a paki as being the fact a paki got puked on....and nothing more.

Brass Eye is a great example - I doubt they were ever considered for a paedo toy doll or a Christmas hour long celeb packed special....and those that didn't get it were horrified. If Little Britain re-did the paedo episode in their own way they would end up with 70% of viewers laughing at the fact someone fancies a hot looking 12 year old slapper because...she's a hot looking 12 year old slapper!

(Should add - by close to the wire I don't mean LB is pushing some sort of taste boundary...simply that it is not clear enough who it is taking the mick out of.)

You are a fool.

Quote: Nick @ April 1, 2008, 10:04 AM

You are a fool.

I don't think he is. He's pointing out the idiocy of the country.

When the highest viewing figures here are for soap opera, it proves that the majority of the country are stupid.

Dan

Honestly what has happened to just watching a show and enjoying it.

Some of you people go way to deep for my liking.

I just sit, watch it, laugh many times and then get on with my life.

It's not very hard to do you know.

Quote: Richard Wells @ April 1, 2008, 10:16 AM

Honestly what has happened to just watching a show and enjoying it.

Some of you people go way to deep for my liking.

I just sit, watch it, laugh many times and then get on with my life.

It's not very hard to do you know.

It is for bitter, overly-analytical writers!

Quote: M Lewis @ April 1 2008, 10:27 AM BST

I think the term you mean is Pakistani. Or are you just summing up all Asian people in that way- or just people from Pakistan. Whistling nnocently

A good example of the irony being completely lost on some people...

Dan

No Comment...

That's even better irony!

Like that one :)

Dan

I haven't seen that much of it, but what I've seen wasn't remotely racist.

Everything can be racist these days
The "British" Comedy guide
Sounds like they aren't letting in any comedy from impoverished terrorist countries
Such as America which has to go on the foreign thread, and they don't like foreigners anymore
It's all gone Brexit crazy