Hated characters in otherwise great comedies? Page 3

Quote: zooo @ 28th January 2017, 6:49 AM

Are you getting him mixed up with the other guy? Or was Joe actually also in Derek.

Off the top of my head, I think Joe played his brother.

Ahh, that does ring a bell now you say it!

Quote: zooo @ 28th January 2017, 6:49 AM

Are you getting him mixed up with the other guy? Or was Joe actually also in Derek.

Joe played the brother of the other guy. Only in a couple of episodes but it really did not work for me.

I vaguely remember Joe now. I could have done without Kev himself.
And I wish Karl Pilkington had stayed on.

Dad's Army - the toothy Welshman who came in after Walker was gone. Vastly irksome. 'Look you boy'. Agree also about Jones' His 'don't panic' schtick still annoys
Yes Minister - agree viz Weisel, Jim Hacker's irritating overly earnest political advisor who Sir Humph clearly despised
Frasier - ditto all Daphne's family esp the mother. Turned what was a great show into a panto

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 28th January 2017, 1:09 AM

Don in How Not To Live Your LIfe.

That show was uniquely brilliant. Scene that sticks in my mind is on the bus - beautiful slapstick violence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0F_xfcDzU

They must have done so many takes as I don't know how they managed to keep straight faces.

Don Clark in that gown always did make me feel rather queasy though.

Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter, Rodney Trotter, Trigger, Uncle Albert Trotter, Boycie, Mike Fisher, Grandad, Cassandra Trotter, Marlene, Mickey Pearce, Raquel Turne and Denzil in OFAH.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 10th February 2017, 11:08 AM

Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter, Rodney Trotter, Trigger, Uncle Albert Trotter, Boycie, Mike Fisher, Grandad, Cassandra Trotter, Marlene, Mickey Pearce, Raquel Turne and Denzil in OFAH.

Laughing out loud Agree with most of them........Er, I like Trigger. So I agree with all of them less him. :D

Here's a few:

Alice Tinker in The Vicar of Dibley. Nothing against the actress but for me the joke wore off after a while and I just found her immensely irritating.

Ross in Friends. I'm currently rewatching that (for some reason) and I've realised I can't stomach the guy.

Someone above mentioned Flashheart. I have to agree. I loved Rik Mayall but I just didn't find FH very funny.

Gonna have to go with Mike from the Young Ones... I think he just seems too normal. I appreciate his character more now than I used to but I'm still not fussed on him.

I am also not overly fond of Cat on Red Dwarf either but he has his moments.

Quote: LoopyTheClown @ 19th February 2017, 2:09 AM

Gonna have to go with Mike from the Young Ones... I think he just seems too normal. I appreciate his character more now than I used to but I'm still not fussed on him.

I am also not overly fond of Cat on Red Dwarf either but he has his moments.

Agree about Mike, but Cat !?!?! :O No, I love him as I do all the characters in RD. Cat for me IS what you would think a cat would be like after 3 million years of evolution.

Agree with Mike. Also Bubble in Ab Fab. Jane Horrocks proves that being a great actress isn't enough for great comedy.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 19th February 2017, 9:19 AM

Agree about Mike, but Cat !?!?! :O No, I love him as I do all the characters in RD. Cat for me IS what you would think a cat would be like after 3 million years of evolution.

Yeah I just can't get into him, to me his is the "Mike" of Red Dwarf.

Despite the fact 'Frasier' is my favourite studio sitcom and have watched them all five+ times over the years, I cannot agree enough about Daphne's family!

Not only because in such a clever sitcom, it's irksome that they're reduced to bad, British stereotypes but also, is it not odd that NONE OF THEM have distinctly Mancunian accents?!

It bothers me (I know it shouldn't!) that in one episode, someone says to Daphne:

"Oh Manchester, that's where the Beatles are from right?"

"Oh no, you're thinking of Liverpool"

"So who's from Manchester?"

"No one. That's why I moved"

I mean...do NOT get me started. '24Hour Party People' is one of my favourite films and there alone is an enormity of Manc acts and cultural icons!!!

God, the man who played her main brother had the shittest accent I've ever heard. I wouldn't even mind that none of them sounded Mancunian, but they could at least have hired a British actor. It's genuinely insulting to have to listen to it! A hundred times worse than Dick van Dyke.
I hate the episodes with him in them. Even though aside from that it's one of my favourite sitcoms ever.

Of course having the right accent doesn't make them likeable either. See Emily in Friends. (Burn the witch.)