Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar

Has anyone else been enjoying the first series of this?

There were only 4 episodes but each one was brilliantly scripted, structured and performed and were extremely funny on many different levels. Surreal, intellectual, political - they had it all. A new series will follow, I hope they up the episode count.

Episode 1 has disappeared from iPlayer but the other 3 are still there. Well off you go.......

Is it a TV show or radio?

Sorry Steve, it's on R4

Yes I caught a couple of these recently, either repeats or a new 2nd series I'm not sure but I listened all the way through which I don't always with a modern Radio 4 comedy. As soon as I heard the intro I was taken back 30 odd years to the first time I saw Sayle on box. The names in his vignettes have changed but that is all, basically they were the same brewed up pieces done in exactly the same style as 30 years ago. And they were every bit as magnificent.

The brio in Sayle's delivery is a lesson to any new comedian - even if you do deadpan, do it with some effort like this man. It sounded both very familiar and completely fresh, possibly because he's been strangely absent from the mainstream for so long. This bloke would blow away the cream of modern stand ups in a head to head, even in his 60s, waffle waffle bore bore...ending with yes I flippin loved it and wish he were still on telly.

I'm glad there's someone else who likes this Alfred. The ones you've heard are the repeats of the first series. I believe series 2 is on the way. His delivery is every bit as good as it ever was.

I liked it too Will, it was an enjoyable treat on R4. I love Alexei's surreal rants.

'Lex's Cak! LP (pretty much his Pirate Video) is an encylopedia of alternative comedy, and his Comic Roots and Young Ones appearances were awesome. His telly shows got steadily worse though.
I met Alexei Sayle when he was recording 'Lenin of the Rovers' for Radio 4 and he signed my Cak and Fish People vinyl. No one cares that I met Alexei Sayle when he was recording 'Lenin of the Rovers' for Radio 4 and he signed my Cak and Fish People vinyl.

I care Michael, because I like him, and I like you.:D

Great! Well, I met Alexei Sayle when he swas recording 'Lenin of the Rovers' for Radio 4 and he signed my Cak and Fish People vinyl.
I love Alexei but this has to be the most boring clip ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkOvwsyBMDc

I listened to this not long ago, and it was weirdly my introduction (kind of) to Alexei Sayle. I enjoyed it immensely and am looking forward to exploring backwards into his other works. There's always so much to explore. I love it when I stumble onto someone I can really sink my teeth into.

(why it took me this long...er...I'm American? How many times can I get away with using that excuse? Do I need an excuse? I'm sure everyone here has loads of people they're only heard vague passing comments abour or heard reference to who they haven't had a chance to check out in depth yet, and even more people that I/we/all of us *still* haven't heard of. )

Episode 1 of Series 2 now on BBC radio iPlayer. Absolutely brilliant.

Not sure what series it is but the show is on R4Extra 5.30/6ish I think daily at mo. Series 4 was last year so it's still going strong which is even better news. The man's delivery is phenomenal, especially for someone now in his 70s, no let up at all, like a heavy machine gun, just keeps firing. He's not just funny but interesting. His memory for his material would rival the best stage actors, as it's very wordy. If I was a stand up starting out and just heard this I think I'd give up (as I wish a lot of them would). And I see you can catch it on BBC Sounds/iplayer.

Thanks Alfred, I'm listening to an episode now on my PC.

To be honest, I lost interest after the second bout of Stuff, but I've heard good things about this one.

He said 'when Ken Dodd died, all comedians moved up a place and he is now the oldest and funniest scouse comedian.