Lucky Feller Page 2

Quote: Ben @ 19th June 2014, 2:17 PM BST

Bloody hell! It's finally coming out on DVD:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/lucky_feller/buy/3979/lucky_feller_the_complete_series_dvd/

I'll be interested in seeing a bit more of this. I wonder if they'll be including the pilot episode as well? It's practically the same as the first episode proper, but with a few cast changes.

Great news! I don't know this show yet but I'd definitely like to see more of the young David Jason's work.

I'm thinking of buying this on DVD but before I do, I would be interested in finding out from other members who have seen most if not all episodes of Lucky Feller. I watched the first episode on YouTube earlier today, but it seemed a little slow to get going. I appreciate that it's normally the case that first episodes of most/all sitcoms are weaker, but would like to know if Lucky Feller is one of those sitcoms that improves with each episode?

I've seen three episodes from later in the series and certainly wouldn't describe it as slow! Anything but. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em meets Only Fools And Horses.

I wonder why this has got a release after years of David Jason vetoing it? I wonder the same with Likely Lads, which has got a release now but was similarly shunned by James Bolam for years. Did they finally change their minds, do you think?

Quote: Dave @ 10th December 2016, 6:11 PM

I wonder why this has got a release after years of David Jason vetoing it? I wonder the same with Likely Lads, which has got a release now but was similarly shunned by James Bolam for years. Did they finally change their minds, do you think?

I didn't know about DJ stopping this from being released and wonder why - never seen any of them, so was he not happy with it?

As far as Likely Lads is concerned I think James Bolam stopped the Beeb from repeating them just to get back at Rodney Bewes financially (very petty in my mind and shame on him) because the BBC would have to pay them both repeat fees (Bolam not needing the money so cuts off his own nose) BUT had no control over DVD sales, which perhaps had no financial gain for anyone.........................Yes/No? Dunno, just my thoughts on it.

David Jason apparently didn't like his performances at that stage of his career. Several of the cast were furious about the veto, as they needed the money.

James Bolam, meanwhile, was concerned about being typecast and considered a "professional northerner". He hasn't spoken about the show in forty years. I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to suppress any mention of it from his (eventual) obituaries.

Quote: Dave @ 11th December 2016, 4:26 PM

James Bolam, meanwhile, was concerned about being typecast and considered a "professional northerner". He hasn't spoken about the show in forty years. I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to suppress any mention of it from his (eventual) obituaries.

No, I don't think that was the reason, otherwise why did he then do things like When the Boat Comes In and Andy Capp.
Rodney Bewes blurted out something personal about him (a quite innocent remark apparently) in some article and Bolam, being a very private person, took so much umbrage from it that he got back at Bewes in the only way he knew how and that was in his pocket by vetoing any attempt to re-air any Likely Lads, resulting in poor Rodney being hard up seemingly for the rest of his life.

Yes, very spiteful is James Bolam - what a way to go to your grave with that hanging over you.

Bolam was also a cliched old Northerner in the recent Cold Feet.