Things that piss you off Page 1,695

Re spelling/grammar. I always give latitude in these cases and try to remember that you don't have to know how to spell moron to be one.

Haitch for Aitch..................inexcusable. Reporter on TV yesterday talking about the HMRC and going on a bit so the Haitch was there in abundance. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Angry

Quote: Ronald S @ 25th November 2016, 9:56 AM

I'm really not a spelling Nazi and I have long since given up on peoples misuse of there, their and they're.

...and people's misuse of apostrophes :)

Im' not bothered about the'm

Oldrocker (God bless his cotton socks) would have "enjoyed" this one given the number of times he went on about pills and their packets.......................OK, make your packaging larger than it needs to be if you want to get noticed on a supermarket shelf maybe, but I suspect chemists are none too pleased with this unnecessary packing by Accord of these tiny (see red arrowed) white pills - compared to the other brand I sometimes get with my prescription.

Effin' stupid waste of money

The use of the word 'ask' as a noun. 'It's a big ask.' no it isn't. It's a lot to ask for etc. etc. but it's not a bloody ask.

Quote: keewik @ 8th December 2016, 12:18 AM

The use of the word 'ask' as a noun. 'It's a big ask.' no it isn't. It's a lot to ask for etc. etc. but it's not a bloody ask.

What about big arse - can I say that? :P

Quote: keewik @ 8th December 2016, 12:18 AM

While I personally quite agree(!), I note that the Oxford dictionary does define "ask" informally as a noun, thus:

informal [with adjective] A demand or situation that requires a specified degree of effort or commitment:
'it is a big ask for him to go and play 90 minutes'
'it was a tough ask, but they delivered'

I suppose that we traditionalists have to accept that language is an ever-changing medium. Otherwise we would still all be speaking Shakespearean or Chaucerian.

Prithee, what dost thou speaketh of knave?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th December 2016, 2:24 PM

Prithee, what dost thou speaketh of knave?

I think I need to go to the prithee. brb. :)

You get any of it on my suede shoes and I will be none too happy. Angry

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th December 2016, 3:18 PM

You get any of it on my suede shoes and I will be none too happy. Angry

What's wrong with having green ones? ;)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th December 2016, 9:40 AM

What about big arse - can I say that? :P

That's permissible since they seem to have taken over the world.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 8th December 2016, 3:58 PM

What's wrong with having green ones? ;)

:D Thankyervermuch................Elvis has left the building.

I visited a pub at the weekend that I've not been in to for years and was disgusted at the state of repair of the gents. As I walked past the ladies the door to a long corridor leading to it was propped open and I noticed they looked in as much disrepair as the gents which surprised me.

The bar floor is decorated in a nice, rounded mahogany decor and homely fabrics so it's got that nice family friendly vibe and has a restaurant yet the toilets have looked like a squaters den for the last 20 years. The pub has had many owners and landlords over the years and not one has felt the need to fix up the restrooms which are places customers will need to frequent a lot if they want them to drink and eat lots and lots to keep tills ringing. They should be nicely decorated and not have cracked wall and floor tiles everywhere with no cubicle door locks and no loo roll and grafiti everywhere. It's a popular pub which shows all the big sporting events so they can afford the hefty licences for that but not to give the lavs a lick of paint and it's the length of time they have remained like this that annoys me because it's an eyesore and sours every visit to that place if I stay long enough to need the toilets there.