Alas Smith & Jones

Anyone else catch this, couple of days back, as part of the the excellent comedy connections series? I always remember it as fairly mainstream but was reminded how surreal/ silly dare i say subversive (I do) some of the sketches were. Interested to see Graham Lineham mention that this was their (with Mathews) first break.

Also talked about Not The Nine O'Clock News - a sketch show that actually had an open submissions policy. Ah those were the days !

Check out the list of writers for NTNON. Fairly heavyweight, but I imagine quite a few's first break

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/n/notthenineoclock_7774885.shtml

Yep, a great episode, as ever. Really enjoy Comedy Connections. :)

An old topic I know, but I saw Griff last night live on his 'Jones and Smith' tour. What a brilliant evening. The man can certainly spin a good yarn and some of the anecdotes were classic - them opening for Queen at Live Aid and Smith walking offstage and going 'Right, well. I'm off, racing's on telly at 3'. But it was quite bittersweet too. The evening was capped with a screening of their sitcom that never was. A real shame, as it made me laugh!

I'll have to look out for that on Catch up
Used to love this show back in the day

Caught an episode re-showing on BBC4 - still very, very funny.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th July 2023, 12:05 AM

Caught an episode re-showing on BBC4 - still very, very funny.

Yes, I saw that too! I don't think they're showing a whole series though unfortunately, there only seems to be that one episode available on iPlayer at the moment.

I still have a book of their Head-to-Head sketches I must've read through hundreds of times over the years, I think I got it for Christmas back in the early 1990s...

I think they dropped the 'Alas' from the title at some point, and the programme became just 'Smith and Jones' towards the end?

Quote: a plate @ 15th July 2023, 12:57 AM

I think they dropped the 'Alas' from the title at some point, and the programme became just 'Smith and Jones' towards the end?

Yup. There was also a buke after the first series, The Smith and Jones World Alas.
By a curious coincidence, I've been revisiting the Boys recently. The entire work is on YouTube. The haircut sketch (1.6) and kebab quickie (3.6) always stuck in my mind, for the wrong reasons. Some classics, but very much a NTNON spin-off (which isn't very funny these days) and I couldn't be arsed to watch a doc.

I remember the Apocalypse Now sketch the most and for years I was looking for the 'why did you leave me' sketch and found it on youtube in series 1, episode 2. I think it's meant to be a spoof of Chris DeBurgh or someone like that.

It starts at 18:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSLJTyeYtI&ab

Have your apocalypse now, don't wait till Wednesday
( Or whatever the words were )
That was a good one, I do remember that

I loved Smith & Jones back in the day
My brother went to a recording of the first series I remember him telling me about a sketch where they were dressed as two flies
Which sounded weird but I was quite excited as we loved Not the Nine O Clock news so I was very pleased that a couple of them were carrying on with Sketch comedy

I thought the fly sketch was very weak. The Spanish Civil War skit (1.6) was rubbish too. Plenty of good stuff though, like the Thatcher/Dynasty bit in 1.3.

Loved their head to head talks, it's also the picture most associated with them. No expensive budget to hide behind.

Quote: Firkin @ 17th July 2023, 9:18 AM

Loved their head to head talks, it's also the picture most associated with them. No expensive budget to hide behind.

The one I always remember, but cannot think of how it starts, is when (talking about money) Mel Smith says "Of course, you have to be careful, or they will suck you dry" - the look on Griff's face as he totally misunderstands the situation, is classic. 😆

The sperm bank one was funny too. Mel trying to be smart and Griff's sneaky expression are perfect. A good example of how you don't need special effects for comedy, just strong scripts and delivery. The head to head chats are the parts people tend to remember, and gave TalkBack its name.
After Mel C and Mel B, Mel S.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 17th July 2023, 10:41 AM

After Mel C and Mel B, Mel S.

Trust you to turn it round to sex and your wrist 😛

Mel Smith? There's an idea.