One Series Comedies

I recently wrote an article for my blog titled 25 Curious British TV Comedies That Only Had One Series so thought some of you here might find it interesting or mildly diverting at the very least.

However, what other one series comedies can you remember and which deserved a second series or not?

Quote: Ben @ 31st October 2016, 9:22 PM

I recently wrote an article for my blog titled '25 Curious British TV Comedies That Only Had One Series' (link) so thought some of you here might find it interesting or mildly diverting at least.

However, what other one series comedies can you remember and which deserved a second series or not?

Good point Paul.

Paul's post gets the link to work.
You missed Happy Families, one of Ben Elton's best. There was the possibility of a second series but the budget went to Red f**king Dawrf. Mind you, I'm not sure how it could've continued, as it's so perfectly plotted and resolved at the end.
You also missed Last of the Summer Wine. More please.
There was also Hello Mum, which was the TV version of Sony-winning Radio 4's In One Ear but got terrible reviews... But they were settling into format - and it was ambitious one, being live like 'Ear' but telly - and the ratings did go up towards the end. Not bad for BBC 2 10.00! Star Nick Wilton was in favour of another crack but the show was deemed unsuccessful and there was a change in the BBC controlling department.
Filthy Rich and Catflap could've improved too but Bottom was the sure-fire success.

Quote: Ben @ 31st October 2016, 9:22 PM

I recently wrote an article for my blog titled 25 Curious British TV Comedies That Only Had One Series so thought some of you here might find it interesting or mildly diverting at the very least.

Great blog post Ben, even I'd forgotten some of them.

I think that, personally Garth Marenghi's Darkplace had more than a single series' worth of material?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 4th November 2016, 5:52 AM

Great blog post Ben, even I'd forgotten some of them.

I think that, personally Garth Marenghi's Darkplace had more than a single series' worth of material?

Ah, I'd completely forgotten about Garth Marenghi! Loved that series and, yes, there was certainly room for at least one more series.

I probably could have listed 50 one series comedies, but sadly didn't have the time!

Great post, Ben. You've become a really great writer on the subject now. More than welcome to contribute to BCG if you'd like!

As for single series comedies, I loved SunTrap last year, and further back there were the likes of All Along The Watchtower and Help.

On the David Jason front, one must also remember The Top Secret Life Of Edgar Briggs.

The High Life deserves a mention I think.

A second series was planned and even written (I believe) but Alan Cumming obviously went off to Hollywood instead.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th November 2016, 1:49 AM

Great post, Ben. You've become a really great writer on the subject now. More than welcome to contribute to BCG if you'd like!

As for single series comedies, I loved SunTrap last year, and further back there were the likes of All Along The Watchtower and Help.

On the David Jason front, one must also remember The Top Secret Life Of Edgar Briggs.

Thanks, Aaron. I've got a few ideas which might suit BCG, so I'll get something over to you at some point.

I've only ever seen a few clips of Edgar Briggs, but it's one I'm looking to explore one day.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th November 2016, 1:49 AM

Oh so that's how you get Aaron to like you
I feel that all my years posting in Critique have come to nothing

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 7th November 2016, 10:31 PM

You know I love you, Steve!

I really would love to see L For Lester.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 7th November 2016, 10:31 PM

No, it was the aftermath of the BCG Greenwich drinks. Aaron really didn't appreciate doesn't like being covered in jam and left in a wheelie bin until 5am when he was rescued by a passing tramp. He has a long memory.

Garth Marenghi was excellent. I would put another Matt Berry endeavor on the list, namely, Snuff Box. I wish it had gotten at least a second series.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 8th November 2016, 7:15 PM

Garth Marenghi was excellent. I would put another Matt Berry endeavor on the list, namely, Snuff Box. I wish it had gotten at least a second series.

Ooh yes! I completely didn't get Snuff Box when it was first on, but watched it again after discussions on these forums and loved it.

Clarence