Hated characters in otherwise great comedies? Page 2

Quote: WarmWasp @ 21st October 2016, 5:09 PM

the Verger (Edward Sinclair) prominently. His "troublemaker" tendencies piss me off SO much, along with that irritating and self-satisfied gurn he has going on. He doesn't get enough of a comeuppance throughout the whole series as far as I'm concerned!

- Jean Dixon (Rita May) in 'Early Doors' - I find her gossiping, self-righteous and greedy nature not an amusing or quirky trait. Bitch!

What are yours folks?

Oh! No, I love the verger and always chuckle when he was an umpire with the vicar and they played the wardens in a cricket match.
Who does get on my tits sometimes though in Jones as I am sure if I had been there I would have thumped him quite a few times with his stupid bungling at so many things, but apart from that he is a very funny character. Why does Mainwaring fall for it so many times though when Jones volunteers for everything - yes, I know for comedy effect.

EARLY DOORS:-
Yes, can't stand the fat lazy cow, but thankfully she quite often gets her come-uppance, especially from her cleaner.

Hated is perhaps too strong a word, maybe pointless would be better. Mike in the Young Ones. The other characters are very strong and identifiable trait, Mike jst does not fit with the rest of them.

Also with the Young Ones, Alexi Sayle, could not stand the scenes he was in, were they relevant??

Bubble in Ab Fab

Mike, Phoebe husband in Friends

Quote: smc4761 @ 31st October 2016, 7:20 PM

Hated is perhaps too strong a word, maybe pointless would be better. Mike in the Young Ones. The other characters are very strong and identifiable trait, Mike jst does not fit with the rest of them.

Also with the Young Ones, Alexi Sayle, could not stand the scenes he was in, were they relevant??

I was just about to say the same. The problem with Mike is not the scriptwriting but Ryan's anonymous acting. The part was originally for Peter Richardson but he felt out with the producer.
I love Alexei Sayle in the Young Ones and for me he's a vital part of the anarchy. But everyone's entited to their opinion (this is English for I Am Right).

I agree with Michael, AS was brilliant in this .

That's twice someone's agreed with me in the last 21 years. Better lower my standards.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 24th October 2016, 3:38 PM

-Jeffrey Fourmile

-Red Dwarf's Holly (the male one)

-The town clerk ("fffleshings") in Dad's Army. I prefer the actor with the Welsh accent who played the town clerk before the better known one (in the episode Big Guns in series 3).

-Dorothy Wainwright, Jim Hacker's political advisor. The actress is very irritating...Appleby may be a crafty bastard but I'm on his side when he's confronted with "this impossible Wainwright female".

-Julian (I think that was his name), Yvonne's dancing partner in Hi-De-Hi after Barry left her.

-Damien in OFAH. A very one-dimensional character played by an unlikeable brat.

-Dick Head, the pub owner in Bottom. The actor Lee Cornes is great though, I like his appearances in Young Ones, Blackadder or Red Dwarf.

-Mr. Brown, the teacher in Mind Your Language. The character is alright but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the actor. If it wasn't for the rest of the cast I would have stopped watching after series one.

Agreed (although I don't watch Dad's Army or MYL).

Incidentally, Lee Cornes is one of the actors who've I've actually met IRL.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 1st November 2016, 5:10 PM

That's twice someone's agreed with me in the last 21 years. Better lower my standards.

No..................three times, but wouldn't entirely agree with Will in saying he was fantastic.

The one burst out laughing moment for me was when (and I am sure this was in TYO) he was describing the noise some people were making in the flat above him and he described it as "sounding like a seal riding around on a motorbike" (or words to that effect), so he went upstairs to complain, knocked on the door and it was answered by a seal wearing a crash helmet and someone in the background shouting "Who is it Ralph!"
I've probably got the scenario wrong there but it was bleedin' funny and always stuck in my mind.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 24th October 2016, 3:38 PM

-Mr. Brown, the teacher in Mind Your Language. The character is alright but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the actor.

Why?!

Very surprised there is so much (any) dislike for Lance Corporal Jack Jones. On the subject of Dad's Army though, the Polish army men who think they're escaped POWs really annoy me, as does the lack of any comeuppance for them.

I have also never been keen on Flashheart in Blackadder.

Old Gregg

Quote: Aaron @ 6th November 2016, 1:54 AM

Why?!

Very surprised there is so much (any) dislike for Lance Corporal Jack Jones.

Jonesie is a real enigma and I can understand where you are coming from Aaron. He has undoubtedly been in some of the best skits and has had some of the best lines, which have been well delivered; BUT for me he can niggle a bit..................cannot pin point exactly but some of the antics you find yourself thinking "For f**k's sake - piss off you stupid old fart" and why (I know it is required for the plot of course) does Mainwaring fall for it every time Jones volunteers for something for which he is clearly not suited.

Otherwise one of the best ever sitcoms we have produced in the UK and one I will (like Hancock and the Goons) never tire of - currently my Saturday nights are not complete if I haven't watched a Dad's Army.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 21st October 2016, 10:57 PM

I don't like Corp Jones in Dad's Army too OTT.
Any of Daphne's family in Fraser too OTT
Bubble in AbFab too OTT
Uncle Albert in OFAH too OTT

YES to Daphne's family in Frasier. Particularly the Simon character, Daphne's brother. Just awful really. It's a shame because it really is one of my favourite shows. That was the example that sprang to mind immediately.

If I were to come up with my own example I would probably say....Miranda on Miranda. But I really don't like Miranda Hart so.....

Cassandra in Only Fools. Snobby character and dreadful actress.

Quote: zooo @ 21st October 2016, 7:59 PM

I always hated Tyres in Spaced.

I loved Tyres! His 'Last night was an A1 tip top clubbing jam fayre' is one of my favourites bits from the series.

Joe Wilkinson's character in Derek. I like Joe as a rule but he seemed wedged in for the sake of it.

Don in How Not To Live Your LIfe.

Quote: MargateSteve @ 27th January 2017, 11:23 AM

Joe Wilkinson's character in Derek. I like Joe as a rule but he seemed wedged in for the sake of it.

Are you getting him mixed up with the other guy? Or was Joe actually also in Derek.