Newsjack 2016 Page 33

When you get paid, has the tax already been taken off or do you need to declare it on a tax return (i.e. as self-employed)?

You should do. But if you're freelancing it's better to use freelancing websites. Or you could always use your influence on The Simpsons, Banks?

Do we contact them for payment or do they contact us?

Thanks so much, I'm such a newbie!

J x

Quote: GoWithIt @ 24th October 2016, 10:29 AM

J x

I got an email last thursday from beverly.tagg@bbc.co.uk saying:

Hi Chris

I'm starting to process payments for Newsjack contributions so please could you send me the following details in order to pay you.

Full Name:
Contact Number:
Address:
Bank Account Holder Name:
Account number:
Sort code:
National Insurance Number:
Twitter handle (if you have one, e.g. @username):

Best wishes
Bev
------------------
My one liner was in Ep 1 so they might be going through in order. I'd just forward that info to her and the cash will probably turn up in a few weeks.

Chris

But they aren't your employer, why are they handling your tax? Seems unnecessary.

Quote: GoWithIt @ 24th October 2016, 10:29 AM

J x

You should have got an e-mail from Bev, best to contact her and ask about payment if you haven't heard anything from her already.

Quote: Banksy @ 23rd October 2016, 10:52 PM

When you get paid, has the tax already been taken off or do you need to declare it on a tax return (i.e. as self-employed)?

You'll need to declare earnings on a tax return for Newsjack and indeed any other earnings you have from writing. We're basically freelance writers who are self-employed for tax purposes.

It's great to see (or hear) a woman of the opposite sex hosting Newsjack.

Anyone going to this Newsjack writers' room briefing on the 10th?

Er, I seem to have lost the email, just remind me of the time. Angelic

If anybody has gone to the writers briefing before, any advice on what to do/expect would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Got the briefing invite yesterday, RSVP'd this morning, but all the places are already taken. This has shattered my belief that I was part of some sort of super-elite writer's clique.

Mrkgrngr - from the previous ones I've been to you won't need to do/prepare anything, it's a fairly informal Q&A where they'll offer advice and some pointers for where they are heading with this particular series (i.e. new features/sections). This is usually followed by a short satanic ritual, and tea & biscuits.

Yeah, apparently I missed out too. Thanks for the info though, jabashe, just in case get to go next time.

Are you one of the Oxfordshire Kgrngrs or the Rutland Kgrngrs?

I missed out but got an email today saying they're putting another slot on afterwards due to high interest levels, so if you didn't get into that first session it's worth checking your emails.

FYI, Newsjack returns to the radio (with new host Angela Barnes) on Thursday 26th January, so I think (but this is not yet confirmed) that the first deadline for sketches will be Monday 23rd January.

The producers for this 16th series will be Adnan Ahmed and Abby Kumar.