Hated characters in otherwise great comedies?

Having been re-watching all of Dad's Army from start to finish, my first thread idea came to mind in the form of 'hated characters in loved sitcoms'; something which comes to mind EVERY TIME I watch an episode of Dad's Army that features the Verger (Edward Sinclair) prominently. His "troublemaker" tendencies piss me off SO much, along with that irritating and self-satisfied gurn he has going on. He doesn't get enough of a comeuppance throughout the whole series as far as I'm concerned!

I just wondered what other people's hated characters/loved sitcoms were...

A couple of other mentions that find me reaching for the remote (or avoiding scenes with them altogether are:

- Jeffrey Fourmile (Norman Eshley) in 'George & Mildred' - what an insufferable, pompous twat!
- Poppy Meldrum (Susie Brann) & Blanche 'The Cook' Lipton (Brenda Cowling) in 'You Rang M'Lord'
- Jean Dixon (Rita May) in 'Early Doors' - I find her gossiping, self-righteous and greedy nature not an amusing or quirky trait. Bitch!

What are yours folks?

Quote: WarmWasp @ 21st October 2016, 5:09 PM

- Jeffrey Fourmile (Norman Eshley) in 'George & Mildred' - what an insufferable, pompous twat!

Ha, I love him!

I always hated Tyres in Spaced.

I don't like Corp Jones in Dad's Army too OTT.
Any of Daphne's family in Fraser too OTT
Bubble in AbFab too OTT
Uncle Albert in OFAH too OTT

Quote: zooo @ 21st October 2016, 7:59 PM

Couldn't remember who he was, so I did a search.

Only dimly recollect him, but this clip made me laugh. Sorry! :)

Not really a character but I find the Hell scene in the otherwise awesome Young Ones (s1 ep3) dubious taste. Still get me reaching for Fast Forward and I'm surprised no one else seemed to mind it.
'Hate' is too stron but the Yankee in Fawlty Towers' Waldorf Salad is relatively weak for the series.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 21st October 2016, 10:57 PM

I don't like Corp Jones in Dad's Army too OTT.
Any of Daphne's family in Fraser too OTT
Bubble in AbFab too OTT
Uncle Albert in OFAH too OTT

If we're talking OTT:

Flashheart
Blakey

Quote: George Kaplan @ 21st October 2016, 11:45 PM

Couldn't remember who he was, so I did a search.

Only dimly recollect him, but this clip made me laugh. Sorry! :)

Curses!

Laughing out loud

Quote: zooo @ 21st October 2016, 7:59 PM

Ha, I love him!

Me too! Mind you, a techno beat upsets my aspie soul. The actor/comedian who portrays him is married to the novelist Miranda Sawyer. I don't know why I know that particular fact.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 22nd October 2016, 9:02 AM

Not really a character but I find the Hell scene in the otherwise awesome Young Ones (s1 ep3) dubious taste. Still get me reaching for Fast Forward and I'm surprised no one else seemed to mind it.

Dubious taste in the Young Ones?

You can only mean you thought it in good taste.

-Jeffrey Fourmile

-Red Dwarf's Holly (the male one)

-The town clerk ("fffleshings") in Dad's Army. I prefer the actor with the Welsh accent who played the town clerk before the better known one (in the episode Big Guns in series 3).

-Dorothy Wainwright, Jim Hacker's political advisor. The actress is very irritating...Appleby may be a crafty bastard but I'm on his side when he's confronted with "this impossible Wainwright female".

-Julian (I think that was his name), Yvonne's dancing partner in Hi-De-Hi after Barry left her.

-Damien in OFAH. A very one-dimensional character played by an unlikeable brat.

-Dick Head, the pub owner in Bottom. The actor Lee Cornes is great though, I like his appearances in Young Ones, Blackadder or Red Dwarf.

-Mr. Brown, the teacher in Mind Your Language. The character is alright but I ABSOLUTELY HATE the actor. If it wasn't for the rest of the cast I would have stopped watching after series one.

Quote: Chappers @ 24th October 2016, 2:21 PM

Dubious taste in the Young Ones?

You can only mean you thought it in good taste.

Bloody Hell - too detailed and realistic for slapstick.

I'd go with the following rogues' gallery:

Stewart in 'The Big Bang Theory' - something about the actor, can't pin it down. Creepy, one-note character.

Kochanski in 'Red Dwarf' VII and VIII - awful replacement (for want of a better word) for Rimmer. Zero chemistry with Lister.

Mickey Pearce in 'OFAH' - one of those duff peripheral characters John Sullivan kept dredging back up (see also Sid, Jevon, Cassandra and her parents etc).

Cheryl in 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' - whiny, irritating. Glad she ended up as a recurring character later on.

Bo and Marshall in 'Ab Fab' - this pair started off great in the early series but soon became way too over-exposed. Same could be said of many characters in 'Ab Fab', though.

Darren in 'The Royle Family' - actor who played him is now doing the same shtick as Kirk in 'Coronation Street'. Brings to mind the episode where him and Anthony repeatedly did Ali G impressions... Angry

Roz in 'Frasier' - initially a great character who they ran out of things to do with as the years rolled by. In the later years her role seemed to consist of turning up at Frasier's apartment to return a CD, return a pot etc. There were a fair few 'Frasier' characters who outstayed their welcome, particularly in the later years - Kenny, Nigel Moon, that loudmouth played by Jean Smart, loudmouth's son Kirby. Egads!

Corporal Jones always seemed to belong in a different sitcom. Possibly in children's hour.

The SpAd Frank Weasel was dropped after the first series of Yes, Minister, which improved the interpersonal dynamics if not the accuracy of the series.

That horrible hotel owner in Fawlty Towers.