Why is Dad's Army repeated so much?

It's a good show, but it seems to be on every Saturday night. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I'm just wondering what the thinking is behind it.

I remember in the early-to-mid 2000s, there would be two episodes of The Good Life a week and it became overexposed. There's a similar risk here.

Quote: Dave @ 16th October 2016, 5:37 PM

It's a good show, but it seems to be on every Saturday night. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. I'm just wondering what the thinking is behind it.

I remember in the early-to-mid 2000s, there would be two episodes of The Good Life a week and it became overexposed. There's a similar risk here.

Some shows seem to be on a constant loop of repeats and for the Beeb this is one of them. Not sure if the cast or their estates would still receive royalties for repeats as all of the cast except Ian Lavender are dead, I believe.

Just hope you don't watch UK Gold as there are one or twenty shows on a constant loop repeat.

It's not so much on a loop as a re-run of the entire series right through from episode 1. Last night's was series 9 episode 2. Which means that there have so far been 76 episodes repeated (which, with various blank Saturdays due to sporting & special events, means it has taken the best part of 2 years to repeat thus far). There are now only 4 episodes left to re-show.

A clue to part of the reason for the re-run, no doubt, is in the title of your concurrent thread "Why has comedy forgotten to be funny".

Quote: smc4761 @ 16th October 2016, 7:34 PM

all of the cast except Ian Lavender are dead, I believe

And except Frank Williams (the vicar), who is still doing the rounds of provincial theatres sharing anecdotes about his life & career. I saw him at the Connaught Theatre Worthing 2 years ago. And he was in the recent film.

I'd sooner watch constant repeats of Dads Army than some of the shite the BBC puts out.

Cheap.

It's easy and safe:
It's already in the can - fixed known cost to screen,
You are unlikely to get sacked or upset anyone by repeating classic comedy.

Quote: Dave @ 16th October 2016, 5:37 PM

Because it's still hugely popular. Unless there is a major sporting event earlier in the day, it is BBC Two's most-watched programme of the day, week-in, week-out.