Porridge 2016 Special Page 3

The BBC will now air sequels to two different Ronnie Barker sitcoms.

What's next? A sequel to Clarence?

I think they should do a remake of 'Still open all hours'. It's been long enough. They could call it 'Yawn, not another one'.

God help us, this will last one series and go the way of Grace and Favour

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 7th October 2016, 5:51 PM

God help us, this will last one series and go the way of Grace and Favour

Two series then?

Quote: Aaron @ 7th October 2016, 6:03 PM

Two series then?

Call me Mrs Sad (everybody else does!) but I missed 'Grace and Favour' when it was first broadcast and would be interested in seeing it now. I cannot find it on DVD though.

As for 'Porridge', I foresee a successful series. That said, I still have my reservations.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th October 2016, 8:06 AM

Call me Mrs Sad (everybody else does!) but I missed 'Grace and Favour' when it was first broadcast and would be interested in seeing it now. I cannot find it on DVD though.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/grace_favour/shop/4765/the_complete_series_1_2_dvd/

Also available slightly cheaper on region 1 format.

Also currently being auctioned from the US on ebay for an opening bid of $3.99 +postage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Are-You-Being-Served-Again-The-Complete-Series-DVD-2004-2-Disc-Set-/331993608301?hash=item4d4c5c706d:m:mjW1lW5fVhuBuhWccHHs2FA

Lots of info about Grace & Favour in our guide.

I'm glad this got a run but not at the expense of GNSH.

I must be honest that I hate remakes of sitcoms especially my favourites, and I'll treat this the same as I do all the others, steer well clear of it.

This will be utter shit: when one offs of this and Are You Being Served? were shown in 2016 it was the latter which was more enjoyable IMO - with the Porridge one being lamentable!

So, who else watched the first episode? Call it herecy, but I liked it! Not a patch on the original, but I couldn't fault Clement and La Frenais' script and I laughed out loud more often than not. Bishop's portrayal does slip into imitation quite often though, every line just felt written for Barker.

Many lines were, I'll think you'll find.