Newsjack 2016 Page 30

That's really helpful to know. I thought that might be the case from previous seasons when I submitted. That didn't stop me clicking the refresh button for hours afterwards though but now I'll know better! Also - can I just say how lovely it is to be back doing the Newsjack submissions and hanging out on this forum again. Good luck to all in this and upcoming weeks submissions! =)

I got the nearly email. It's my first sign of life this series so me it counts the good email. Getting in is the great email.

Nothing for me this week, well done to everyone that's in and to the nearly email-ers!!

J x

Nothing for me this time but there's always next week! Well done to those who got in ins and the nearly-ins.

Got a one-liner and a sketch in this week. My sketch was the one about texting and driving. It's the third or fourth sketch I've ever had on, and I think they've all been significantly rewritten. Not that I mind, I'm just wondering if that's everybody else's experience too?

Wow you did amazingly well! Well done!!

I've only had one liners on so I don't know about rewriting; they didn't touch that if that's any help!

J x

Just listened to the first 20 minutes of episode 3. The first 6 (yes 6) minutes was a political monologue by Nish Kumar and was just not funny. The show just seems to lack the charm now that Miles Jupp and Justin Edwards brought. I don't think that Nish can act either, he just shouts. Lewis McLeod is also very much missed.

Quote: notjosh @ 23rd September 2016, 3:44 PM

It's the third or fourth sketch I've ever had on, and I think they've all been significantly rewritten. Not that I mind, I'm just wondering if that's everybody else's experience too?

Yes, significantly. Strangely, it feels like they keep the unfunniest bits and replace some of the rest, for reasons I'm never sure about.

Well done on your success anyway.

I have a feeling inexperience has a great deal to do with it.

Quote: Will Cam @ 24th September 2016, 4:38 PM

Just listened to the first 20 minutes of episode 3. The first 6 (yes 6) minutes was a political monologue by Nish Kumar and was just not funny. The show just seems to lack the charm now that Miles Jupp and Justin Edwards brought. I don't think that Nish can act either, he just shouts. Lewis McLeod is also very much missed.

Newsjack was the first time I'd heard of Nish Kumar, and it's the only place I've heard/seen his comedy (haven't bothered to seek out any of his stand-up or other TV/radio appearances). He comes across as a really nice guy, and I won't deny he's successful, but I don't think he fits the show that well. His writing is fine, but the shouting, over-dramatic style isn't my cup of tea. It comes across as a bit too "so le random" for my liking and borderline cringeworthy.

His standup is ok. It just doesn't, in my opinion, suit the anchor role of a sketch show.

Got a one-liner and a sketch in this week. My sketch was the one about texting and driving. It's the third or fourth sketch I've ever had on, and I think they've all been significantly rewritten. Not that I mind, I'm just wondering if that's everybody else's experience too?

Yes, I think that's a common experience. Of course, it works both ways: we had a sketch that started off as a quickie advert but was extended to over 2 mins, all of which we were paid for!

Got a one-liner and a sketch in this week. My sketch was the one about texting and driving.

Sorry, meant to say that I really loved that sketch; it had a very clever premise.

Quote: V Riddoch @ 26th September 2016, 9:13 PM

we had a sketch that started off as a quickie advert but was extended to over 2 mins, all of which we were paid for!

Which one was that, Viv?

I've gone for the full quota this week; 2 sketches, 1 advert, 3 breaking news and 3 viewsjack!

Good luck to everyone submitting!

J x

Quote: GoWithIt @ 27th September 2016, 2:15 PM

I've gone for the full quota this week; 2 sketches, 1 advert, 3 breaking news and 3 viewsjack!

Good luck to everyone submitting!

J x

Impressive! I found this a tough week to write about - only managed 3 Breaking News and 3 Viewsjacks!