Who should be the new Carry On team?

After all the false starts, think Carry On London, I don't know if this will actually happen. But if it does who should be in it?

As Carry On Columbus showed it is no easy matter to create a new team. At the time I felt only Julian Clary really got it and was successful. I really find it hard to think of anyone. Maybe these, Miranda Hart, Brian Conley, Harry Hill, Bradley Walsh, Sheridan Smith, Ronni Ancona, Milton Jones, Alan Carr, Lee Evans, Johnny Vegas, Stephen K Amos, but to be honest would anyone really work now?

I'd like to see others' thoughts, if it should be mainstream performers or more edgy, a straight renewal or a reinvention.

"The films are being written by Tim Dawson and Susan Nickson, the team behind Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps - with a whole new cast set to come aboard." http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/17/oooooh-matron-the-carry-on-movies-are-getting-a-reboot-with-two-new-films-in-the-works-5886791/

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/news/2118/new_carry_on_doctors_2017/

Whatever happens, I hope to God they are not preachy with a forced feel-good moral lesson. Be great if they can get relative unknowns with sufficient skill to be on the path to stardom.

No one. Produce something new instead. Be brave!

Whatever they do, let's hope they don't cast actors who look like the original Carry On team and ask them to impersonate them with some wishy-washy copy-cat scripts...

If instead they start out with the SPIRIT of the original Carry Ons then they will be worrying the censors (as the original series did at the time) - that's what they should be aiming for - something equally on the current edge of what is acceptable that (almost) gets banned.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 18th September 2016, 9:02 PM

No one. Produce something new instead. Be brave!

Whatever they do, let's hope they don't cast actors who look like the original Carry On team and ask them to impersonate them with some wishy-washy copy-cat scripts...

If instead they start out with the SPIRIT of the original Carry Ons then they will be worrying the censors (as the original series did at the time) - that's what they should be aiming for - something equally on the current edge of what is acceptable that (almost) gets banned.

My feelings exactly Frankie, but if it happens it will be interesting if nothing else.

Quote: Kenneth @ 18th September 2016, 4:59 PM

"The films are being written by Tim Dawson and Susan Nickson, the team behind Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps - with a whole new cast set to come aboard." http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/17/oooooh-matron-the-carry-on-movies-are-getting-a-reboot-with-two-new-films-in-the-works-5886791/

Whatever happens, I hope to God they are not preachy with a forced feel-good moral lesson. Be great if they can get relative unknowns with sufficient skill to be on the path to stardom.

I don't know if these two writers are the right choice, but who can replace Talbot Rothwell? You only have to look at the last few written by others to see how hard it is to write these seemingly simple seaside postcard comedies. The Norman Hudis films, my personal favourites would be far to dated I guess these days.

As I think I've mentioned elsewhere the Green Wing cast could provide a good few. Also maybe Ardal O'Hanlan and The IT Crowd.

Whatever happens, I hope to God they are not preachy with a forced feel-good moral lesson.

Ha ha ha. Not a chance, Kenneth. Not. a. chance. :)

Be great if they can get relative unknowns with sufficient skill to be on the path to stardom.

That is largely the plan.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 18th September 2016, 9:02 PM

If instead they start out with the SPIRIT of the original Carry Ons

This is exactly what they're doing.

Looking at Carry On Columbus, part of the problem was throwing far too many disparate stars together. It meant there were so many characters and so many choppy disjointed scenes. Here's a star, now goodbye, let's move on, here's another star, another weak joke, and here's another star, etc. Instead of a simple, logical progression of scenes involving the core cast. Jim Dale was valiant though. Excellent, in fact.

I hope it is set in the beautiful village of Shaggem, Tillit, Herts and Dr Nobbrott is in charge of the local STD clinic.

Quote: Ronald S @ 20th September 2016, 10:13 PM

I hope it is set in the beautiful village of Shaggem, Tillit, Herts and Dr Nobbrott is in charge of the local STD clinic.

:)

I just hope that whoever is in it the script is littered with innuendos.

I think you need actors not comics and traditional characters, I don't think another foray into alternative comedy like in Columbus would work, hence Jim Dale, Bernard Cribbins working, the others not, with the honourable exception of Julian Clary. I hope they don't try to go for some Comic Strip Peter Richardson vibe, that would be a disaster, I really think you need some people like Brian Conley who is genuinely likeable

I agree that the plot needs to flow naturally and not just spotlight cameos etc. I also hope they don't try and mock the Carry On films (not sure how they would but you know!) like most remakes do these days.

Chris Eubank, Jordan, Sir Philip Green, Keith Vaz, Nicholas Parsons, Miranda Krestovnikoff, Danny Baker, Zoe Ball, Yaya Toure, Rylan Clark-Neal, Jacob Rees Mogg, Tomasz Schafernaker, Kim Kardashian, Cliff Richard, Benedict Wong and Adele.

Jordan would work as a Sid James look-a-like, both of them.

And Keith 'Babs' Vaz as Barbara Windsor, certainly, why not?

I still cannot see any point in a remake, the Carry On series was very much of its time and I don't think there is a viable scenario for a worthwhile remake any more than say a remake of Brian Rix's Whitehall farces, which had a similar run of success as the Carry On's (for theatre and TV) but were similarly of their time.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ 26th September 2016, 5:48 PM

I still cannot see any point in a remake, the Carry On series was very much of its time and I don't think there is a viable scenario for a worthwhile remake any more than say a remake of Brian Rix's Whitehall farces, which I think equalled the success of the Carry On series (for theatre and TV) but were similarly of their time.

The new film(s) won't be remakes; they'll be entirely new productions in a similarly broad, cheeky vein.

OK I stand corrected - I was misled by the thread title which implies that they might be recruiting a new Carry On Team.

I am truly glad to hear that they are not doing a remake.