Newsjack 2016 Page 29

The bus was one was brilliant!

The harry potter oneliner was ours!

J x

I didn't submit this week as I mistakenly thought there had been no news over the last 7 days, but congrats to everyone who made it in!

Bake Off? Not "news" in the traditional sense, but still.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 17th September 2016, 7:04 AM

Bake Off? Not "news" in the traditional sense, but still.

Gives BBC an excuse to fire shots at Channel 4 for taking their most successful show away from them.

Phew - have got a couple of sketches in. First time I've submitted sketches so we'll see how that goes. Good luck everyone else.

I sent one sketch and one advert in, good luck to everyone submitting!

J x

I sent one sketch and about five gags, all of which were rather poor. If I get on this week I'll be very surprised.

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 20th September 2016, 4:41 PM

I sent one sketch and about five gags, all of which were rather poor. If I get on this week I'll be very surprised.

Sometimes the comedy juices just don't flow. Props to you for still having a go though =)

My gag in last weeks was a 'Baking News' about the BBC not being bitter about loosing the bake off but that it's new time slot would be 4am on BBC4.

Weirdly my original line was 'it will still be broadcast in it's *usual* time slot of 4am on BBC4' not sure why the edit as I think the idea of the BBC pretending they haven't changed anything was funnier, but maybe it was less clear that way? IDK

Had days off work this week so submitted two sketches, one on the car windscreen smashing policeman and one a fantastically-enjoyable-to-write scene with characters from Frasier; Newsjack's brief is 'topical jokes and 90's Sitcom sketches' right? :D

Well I can confirm the bad e-mails have gone out...

Slightly annoying but another way to look at it is my best run for a good few series! Any others have more joy?

(P.S. Hennell good work on getting a Bake Off joke on must have been stiff competition last week)

Looks like nothing yet on the good email front (not basing this on mine - but lack of people posting here). Do you know what - I'd be really interested to know the timeframe that emails go out from. ie the time between the first person getting a confirmation email and the last person. That way I could know how long it is until I should pour myself a consolation drink.

Which would be like the all-to-rare victory drink but just sadder.

I got the nearly email. Two weeks in a row now. Annoying but at least it shows that my writing is funny, maybe not funny enough, but making the script is still positive.
More determined than ever to make it into next week's show now.

Quote: Mike Yeoman @ 22nd September 2016, 5:46 PM

Looks like nothing yet on the good email front (not basing this on mine - but lack of people posting here). Do you know what - I'd be really interested to know the timeframe that emails go out from. ie the time between the first person getting a confirmation email and the last person. That way I could know how long it is until I pour myself a consolation drink. Which would be like the all-to-rare victory drink but just sadder.

From twitter it looks like the good e-mails have also gone out already.

The time frame is usually just a few minutes. The e-mails sent out are fairly standard are sent out on a mass email to all the successful ones and a different ones for the close but no cigar ones. (Last week accidentally revealed that to us!)

Of course the time between getting the good e-mail, wildly celebrating then posting on here could be several hours.

"Close but no vape" e-mail for me too. From my very limited experience the good news ones come out later than this.

Don't know if people have seen this on twitter but thought I'd post it here for those that hadn't:

Want to be a comedy writer? Our producers will host a LIVE Q&A on our FB tomorrow, 2pm: http://Facebook.com/BBCComedy (Newsjack producers)

Time to get a long lunch in the diary or book that meeting room with no windows for the afternoon.