Newsjack 2016 Page 28

Back for my second series of submitting for Newsjack :-)

Missed call for first episode 'cause of another deadline, but sent 6 one liners in yesterday.

The stories that I did were: New Words in the dictionary, increase of number of child extremists, Cameron quitting ( again) and pumping CO2 into rocks.

Quote: Exe Chris @ 9th September 2016, 8:02 PM

It was good, though I don't know why they ask for 3 news items and 3 viewsjacks - there were only 3 viewsjacks used on this episode.

Yeah, I don't get the viewsjacks either. As a listener, they are my least favourite part of the show. They have a tendency to move towards stereotypes... kind of inevitable given that the characters don't reoccur each week and it's literally just one line.

Quote: Bluemeany @ 14th September 2016, 11:50 AM

Back for my second series of submitting for Newsjack :-)

Missed call for first episode 'cause of another deadline, but sent 6 one liners in yesterday.

The stories that I did were: New Words in the dictionary, increase of number of child extremists, Cameron quitting ( again) and pumping CO2 into rocks.

Yeah, I don't get the viewsjacks either. As a listener, they are my least favourite part of the show. They have a tendency to move towards stereotypes... kind of inevitable given that the characters don't reoccur each week and it's literally just one line.

Ha. If you don't like stereotypes, you won't like my joke about a spider in a shipping container in Scotland. Also, what was your joke about CO2 in rocks? I tried and failed to think of an angle.

Aiming for third series in a row with a writing credit!

This week I submitted a 30 second advert sketch on "new Apple products" and the usual 6 one-liners;

Breaking News on MPs cull, South Korean psychological warfare, and David Cameron resigning.

Viewsjacks on Apple, people getting stuck in a cable car in the Alps, and the possibility of needing visas to travel to Europe.

Best of luck all!

Quote: Bluemeany @ 14th September 2016, 11:50 AM

I think it's a shame that the Viewsjacks feel like an afterthought in the show now. A few series ago (when they were Jackapps), I thought they were much better, and a nice writing challenge to produce what is effectively a micro-sketch - where the joke can come from the character.

And yeah, it does feel silly that we're still writing three breaking news and three viewsjacks when so few of the latter are broadcast.

Quote: Mrkgrngr @ 14th September 2016, 1:22 PM

Ha. If you don't like stereotypes, you won't like my joke about a spider in a shipping container in Scotland. Also, what was your joke about CO2 in rocks? I tried and failed to think of an angle.

No nor could I....:$ but I'd run out of time so ended up with something about a mix up and it getting injected it into The Rock instead so he inflated.... >_<

...but yeah... not great.

Finally, I've got the good email!

I've actually got two good emails, do you think that's two separate things on or just a slip up?

Good luck to everyone else!

J x

Ah that's what the good e-mail looks like, it's been a while.

And yes I got two as well, they must have really liked our stuff this week.

Yey! Well done! Does that mean we've got two separate bits on then?

J x

Two emails for me too...i'm thinking it's a mistake. I'm also thinking it's not a mistake. I've lost the ability to look at my work critically.

I think the two emails means 'oops that first email has everyone's email address in it, lets send it again and hope noone notices...

Or we all got two things in...

Hehehe right then, well ones awesome enough! Yey!

J x

We got the 2 good emails as well! Congrats everyone else who did. :)

No email for me. I wrote one sketch which poked a bit of fun at he host. The grim reaper turned up and refused to take Nish as he wasnt famous enough to pass away in 2016. I hope they haven't blackballed me because of it.

Well, that was a super episode! I loved the Bus sketch and Cameron in NY bar the best, but they were all very good.

We had the joke about Barlinnie Prison and the trip advisor score. But we were very pleased to also get an email to say that one of our sketches was recorded and cut in edit.

Good luck for next week everyone! :)

Quote: Bonzo @ 16th September 2016, 8:12 AM

Well, that was a super episode! I loved the Bus sketch and Cameron in NY bar the best, but they were all very good.

Glad you liked the Bus sketch as that was mine! And loved your trip advisor line too.

What did others get on this week?

Quote: TheKingLobotomy @ 15th September 2016, 7:30 PM

No email for me. I wrote one sketch which poked a bit of fun at he host. The grim reaper turned up and refused to take Nish as he wasnt famous enough to pass away in 2016. I hope they haven't blackballed me because of it.

Wouldn't worry too much about that as long as you didn't say anything too harsh about Nish or the show. Given Nish was making fun of his Edinburgh reviews (presumably fake) I'd say they're able to laugh at themselves.