Comedy Clearing House

Is there anywhere, website or publisher, where sketches or ideas can be submitted, read, or listened to and where a reply will actually happen? Most of the threads below just talk of a deafening silence, from those that writers have taken the trouble to send to. So, who actually responds, within a sensible time frame, say a month at most. In other words, professional, responsible outfits. Sorry about the lack of humour here, er......let me see......fork handles.

There you go!

Hi Steve, there are far more sketches written than opportunities to use sketches, and even fewer opportunities to sell sketches, so sadly a 'clearing house' concept doesn't really apply.

It also takes a chunk of time to read a sketch and provide decent feedback, so unless money is involved there's limited incentive for production companies etc. to do so.

Having said that, there is a (free) critique forum on BCG which you can use. You could also try building relationships with script editors who may be willing to take a look. Or even pay a (smallish) fee to have someone read your sketches professionally and offer feedback.

Best,
--
Dan

Thanks for the info. Does make it hard for anyone to make headway. Perhaps those on here should come together and create our own production company. then we can do a critique on each others work. I suggest Steve Comedy Productions. No? There is a vast area of untapped humour available, which has only been created in the last 15 years or so. Those who use smartphones, and social media. So many ways of making comedy out of this. An updated Zombie film. We've all seen them, standing in the middle of the pavement, oblivious to their surroundings. Being run over, into water, (actually on Youtube) ignoring their own children who are also ignoring them and so on. The media industry hasn't really noticed any of this, probably because they are themselves so deeply immersed that, they can't see the wood for those things that are made of wood.

So, punk bypassed the major labels and adopted a DIY strategy, releasing songs on their own home made label, often being picked up later by...major labels. That seems to be the way around this impasse. Please form a queue in the nearest unused phone box and, I'll ring.

A comedy film about zombies? I can't believe no one has ever come up with that idea before!

Apologies for cynicism! In truth, I admire your ambition. Good luck!

Doh! I didn't mean actual zombies. Previously normal people who now act like zombies because of Smartphones and social media. The world is taken over by smartzombies, standing around in large groups texting and stuff. Getting mown down by drivers who are texting and, don't even notice. A few survivors of the old world who don't have smartphones have to try and restore sanity. Learning how to use phones then, sending insulting or critical texts to break them. Not 'liking' them. That kind of thing. Ripe for satire I reckon. Sounds like you are one of 'them'. Destroy!

I genuinely don't have a smartphone and don't do unsocial media, as it should be called. Hence my outsider perspective.

I've seen them standing motionless in supermarkets, getting in the way. I've tried stopping motorists and shouting for help but, they are all changed !! I must try not to fall asleep, that's when they get you!!!!!!! Oh wait, that's been done I think.

Maybe try www.thecomedycrowd.com?

"So, punk bypassed the major labels and adopted a DIY strategy, releasing songs on their own home made label, often being picked up later by...major labels. That seems to be the way around this impasse. Please form a queue in the nearest unused phone box and, I'll ring."

Looks interesting. It opens on Monday so, I'll send them some stuff, if I can be bothered to get up. Someone will cover for me.
Thanks for that.