Newzoids Page 3

Jon Culshaw characters sound like Jon, not the person he is surprised to be. About 80% sound nothing like the person. Crap, now got to find something else to watch.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 15th April 2015, 10:48 PM BST

There's a problem in an impressions show when you can tell who is voicing the character even when you can't see them. All of Jon Culshaw's characters just sound like Jon Culshaw.

Overall it just felt flat and predictable.

Jeremy Clarkson is in the news for getting upset with catering and hitting someone, so the sketch has Jeremy Clarkson getting upset with catering and hitting someone. No originality or new take on the situation.

When that idea was raised in the writers room it should have immediately been followed by another writer saying 'no, no where near good enough' then everyone else agreeing.

Newzoids: missed last week, thank god, Jeremy clarkson sounds nothing like him, so do about 80% of the other characters, sound nothing like the person. Jon Culshaw sounds like Jon Culshaw.

Yep this could be an ok show but I can't get past the Jon Culshaw thing. Every voice he is providing for the show just sounds like Jon Culshaw.

Thought it was a bit better this week - liked the Alan Carr joke.

Hmmm.
One gag which made me chuckle.
One.

Some of the puppets work quite well.
Others just don't.
If you need to tell the audience who it is supposed to be,
you're in trouble.

I really wanted to like this.
At times it tries to be 'Spitting image'.
It tries to take a shot at the politicians.
It tries, but I fear it just doesn't succeed.

Not least as it is just too in love with celebrity.
So a skit with Ed Miliband just has to have Lord Sugar in it.

I would love this to be more.
Alas....

It's reminesent of News Revue, when News Revue isn't very good.

The ho ho Nigel Farrage is racist and Ed is sexy/geeky, are just representations of stuff that's true.

Satire is surely meant to be all about subversion innit?

Quote: sootyj @ 29th April 2015, 11:22 PM BST

It's reminesent of News Revue, when News Revue isn't very good.

The ho ho Nigel Farrage is racist and Ed is sexy/geeky, are just representations of stuff that's true.

Satire is surely meant to be all about subversion innit?

Yes, this sort of satire is supposed to be the equivalent of caricature.
So think Gillray. Think Scarfe. Think visceral. Think attack mode.

You feel the people behind it don't really want to upset anyone.
And if, then only mildly.

Quote: sootyj @ 29th April 2015, 11:22 PM BST

Ed is sexy...just representations of stuff that's true.

?

I like the impressions and some of the sketch premises, but the script leaves me cold. During two episodes, I haven't laughed once, although the Farage cabaret has made me smirk. The most worrying thing is that I get all the references, despite not being British nor living in the UK...

Quote: vinny j @ 23rd April 2015, 10:28 AM BST

Yep this could be an ok show but I can't get past the Jon Culshaw thing. Every voice he is providing for the show just sounds like Jon Culshaw.

He does try and you need to get his face out of your mind for it to work - it is a similar problem with Alistair McGowan, he is very good but always looks like himself with his distinctive features.

Best one for me was Mike Yarwood who did have a "universal" face, but it always amused me when he would round off his show with singing and had to say just before the last bit "and this is me" .............

Prince George doing Parklife was good. The sketch about someone (forget who) being forced to be leader of the Lib-Dems was also spot on.

Some sketches were a bit weak, where one could easily think of a funnier line from the comfort of the comfy chair ahhhh!, I mean the sofa.

I thought this started well but got a bit more patchy as the series went on.
Probably ok when they had time to consider submissions but needed a more intense and brutal writers room as time got shorter.

Brilliant . . . just brilliant.

Always skeptical about these shows as I fear is just regurgitating an old format only not as good, but wow.

Not sure I even saw any of last year's, but tonight, Merkel's likeness was pure evil . . . Farage was so good it hurt, and not sure that wasn't really Alan Carr himself.

My problem with this programme is that Jon Culshaw just sounds like Jon Culshaw to me.

Never really rated him much.

Olivia Colman and Sarah Lancashire . . . I nearly pissed myself! :DLaughing out loud:S

Quote: Richard Wells @ 9th September 2016, 10:22 PM

My problem with this programme is that Jon Culshaw just sounds like Jon Culshaw to me.

Never really rated him much.

I do agree.

There's something to do with the tone of his voice. He gets part of the person in question but he can never lose himself completely.