Goodnight Sweetheart Page 21

Well, what can I say? This worked really well and felt like it had never ended.

A really rare thing to say, but a new series would work. A lot more fun to be had. At least another special but maybe an hour long special?

Highlight of the show was seeing Ron back - and Gary walking in on the bald bloke taking a dump.

It has to get a full series the only thing weird is his present wife well ex wife knowing what's going on. That's what I loved about the original, was Gary tying himself in knots trying to keep his secret from his two wives. Regarding it having a one hour special I think it would have made more sense than the half hour one, because it seemed a bit rushed in a half hour episode.

Maybe when it gets a full series they can explore what exactly happened from when Gary got stuck in 1945 till the present day. Why don't they live in their Mayfair home and do they still own it, and why did they give up their nightclub.

This show has the potential to go on for a good few series. Like I've said before, if Still Open All Hours can get to Series 3 why can't this get at least the same? On Twitter it was getting very good feedback. Surely the BBC have to take the public's opinions into account? The only thing I hope doesn't happen is Gary getting stuck in the present day.

I think this was a good 'pilot' for a new run of the show - it set up a camaraderie between Gary and his daughter; there seems to be unfinished business between him and Yvonne; and the implication that back in 1962 his lies are starting to unfurl (the reference to the Beatles song). The '60s update to the theme tune and credits was a really nice touch.

I think it would have been better as an hour-long episode. Everything was too rushed, meaning that short shrift was given to his life in '62. But for the time they had, Marks and Gran did a good job. I'd like to see more, especially now that we have the added twists of Yvonne knowing the truth, and Gary being a fish out of water in 2016 (just as he was in the '40s in the original series).

I was never really a big fan of the original series but I thought this little revival was pretty good. It definitely showed potential for a full series, but I probably wouldn't watch it.

Are you a commissioner of programmes, G? Sounds like it.

Just viewed it. I didn't take to the original series as I like Lyndhurst as Rodney but this episode was well worked and almost profound.

It helps, of course, to be in the same sort of "area" as the lead character which I am but I won't go into the detail at this time. Whistling nnocently

What does seem likely from the newspaper reports of feedback from the general public is that Marks and Gran will get a new series for it.

What I never get with time travel programmes is that there would be an older version of Gary in the present day. The Gary that went back to war time. He might of course be dead now but would have a grave, and if he died of natural causes the other Gary would know when he was going to die.

Quote: Ronald S @ 4th September 2016, 4:14 PM

What I never get with time travel programmes is that there would be an older version of Gary in the present day. The Gary that went back to war time. He might of course be dead now but would have a grave, and if he died of natural causes the other Gary would know when he was going to die.

... Unless he came back to the present day and ended up staying and living his life out in our future.

So many possibilities for the new series.

1.) His present day daughter doesn't know that he is her father and secondly that he is a time traveller.

2.) More back story on what has been happening in both time periods in the last 17 years.

3.) Reg could accidentally stumble into 2016, This would be hilarious, can you imagine his reactions to the modern world.

4.) Yvonne stumbling into the past

5.) Gary's son in 1962 could also have the power of time travel, even further back like when Gary went back to Jack the Ripper times (ONE OF MY FAV EPISODES).

These are just some ideas. The only one I wouldn't like to see happen is Pheobe time travelling or finding out the truth, not just yet, although I think somewhere down the line it could happen.

Also does anyone know the viewing figures for Friday's episode yet? I have watched it twice myself. lol.

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 4th September 2016, 5:23 PM

Also does anyone know the viewing figures for Friday's episode yet?

You can find the overnight rating in our episode guide.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th September 2016, 4:53 PM

... Unless he came back to the present day and ended up staying and living his life out in our future.

When you say "our", I assume you are not wholly including me in that. :)

Interesting how the girl 'actors' have not aged as much as the boy 'actors'.

I thought it was really good with my two preferred (Full-bodied) females.

If it does start a new series will his only way be through that Gents toilet? Could be difficult to sustain. Also shouldn't he have locked the door behind him?

Quote: don rushmore @ 27th August 2016, 1:09 AM

If the story isn't "Gary arrives back to the present day and finds Ron married to Yvonne", the writers should be shot.

Close but she obviously doesn't fancy him.

Quote: don rushmore @ 2nd September 2016, 11:39 PM

No emotion at the hospital when he met his dad. Poor writing or did I miss something?

Well he's older than his dad and obviously wouldn't remember much of him at that age.

Blog from Marks and Gran regarding the reaction to the episode and the possibility of more to come:

http://www.marksandgran.com/blog/2016/09/04/back-to-the-future/

Quote: Aaron @ 4th September 2016, 4:53 PM

That's what I don't want happening. I want him to be able to time travel but I'd hate it if he abandoned Phoebe and his son Michael, as they need him more than Yvonne does.

If anything I'd love Ron going back so Gary has his best friend with him, and Ron's life isn't exactly anything special in the future.