Up Pompeii

Anyone know what happened to the proposed remake. Although secretly relieved, dreading a David Walliams remake, I was secretly looking forward to what could have been road crash TV at its very worst

The cast they wanted - according to one newspaper, Miranda Hart in the Lurcio role - were unavailable for production within the timescale. See our guide for info.

Thanks Aaron, that sounds interesting, but possibly a blessing in disguise :)

I don't think this would have worked but I'd have liked to see Miranda Hart in the Frankie Howard role.

See our guide - you may still be able to!

Nay, nay and thrice nay!

Quote: alan1967 @ 1st September 2016, 9:56 AM

I don't think this would have worked but I'd have liked to see Miranda Hart in the Frankie Howard role.

Frankie Howard was a master of timing, delivery and facial expression. Miranda Hart is a big posh lass who falls over a lot.

Miranda as Lurcio seems so bizarre it might actually work.
Although she's not much of a comedian she's good at acting.

Absolutely nuts idea based on the insane popularity of a 5 minute wonder, no offence to her, but to compare her to Howerd, one of the great craftsmen of British comedy is an insult to British comedy. I echo Tursio's observations plus such abysmal casting would have compromised the whole naughty innuendo humour dynamic Lurcio was at the centre of. Could she have pulled him off? It is a male part for saucy queers, end of.

Plus I'm sick of this latest fad for reimagining classic sitcoms with today's actors. Effing well leave em alone! Pirate So sad the Beeb can't produce any great new comedies it has to keep plundering its classics using more and more unworthy bods in legendary roles. Some newly promoted exec sits smugly in a swivel chair at BH with a list of all of our best sitcoms to be rehashed by their usual staff writers and actors.:( Oh sod off auntie Please!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 17th September 2016, 8:25 AM

Absolutely nuts idea based on the insane popularity of a 5 minute wonder, no offence to her, but to compare her to Howerd, one of the great craftsmen of British comedy is an insult to British comedy. I echo Tursio's observations plus such abysmal casting would have compromised the whole naughty innuendo humour dynamic Lurcio was at the centre of. Could she have pulled him off? It is a male part for saucy queers, end of.

Plus I'm sick of this latest fad for reimagining classic sitcoms with today's actors. Effing well leave em alone! Pirate So sad the Beeb can't produce any great new comedies it has to keep plundering its classics using more and more unworthy bods in legendary roles. Some newly promoted exec sits smugly in a swivel chair at BH with a list of all of our best sitcoms to be rehashed by their usual staff writers and actors.:( Oh sod off auntie Please!

Exactly right Alfred