Porridge 2016 Special Page 2

Pointless, awful plastic version of a gold plated original, the attempt to modernise was dreadful, the cast a thin shadow of the originals. The twitching perfection of Fulton Mackay, the nervous gaze into the distance of Brian Wilde, Beckinsale's wide eyed innocence and Barker's pitch perfect timing. Anyone who thinks this was worthwhile should rewatch the original, it is like swapping Van Gough's starry starry night for dogs gambling at a table

Why compare it to the original? You simply can't. Just take it as it is. If you didn't like it that's your opinion but others liked it, and I'd be very surprised if it doesn't get a full series.

I thought this was okay. But not something I'd want to watch again.

Commendable to have a crack at a modern day version without trying to recreate the original. If anything, it goes to show just how special Ronnie Barker was and unfortunately Kevin Bishop fell short of this. I felt like he was recreating his Barry Hearn character in The Rack Pack.

It's difficult because essentially this was created because of the original's greatness and yet they wanted to do something new but still give nods to the original, otherwise it would have been a completely new show that only shared the name. But would that have been a bad thing?
It's as if they tried to please everyone. The ones who wouldn't like a remake (like Are You Being Served) and those who wanted to ensure plenty of nostalgic nods to the original.

I'm not sure whether they could really win because it would always face harsh criticism and comparisons which is understandable.

I felt that it tried too hard with characters too similar to the original. A completely fresh take would have been better rather than drawing on what appear to be stock characters. Perhaps give Kevin Bishop the chance to create his own interesting and cheeky character without feeling like they are trying to hold on to the old version and an obligation to try and be as close to the original Fletch.

I too went in with low expectations and by the end, it surprised me.

Great performance by Kevin Bishop and the surrounding characters. Would be happy to see more episodes.

The only aspect that I could not believe was that Fletch's grandson being an I.T boffin. I associate I.T with boring/nerds when it comes to comedy and if only Fletch had a specialty in something else, then it would have been perfect.

I think asking for it not to be compared to the original is asking a lot considering it begs that question by its very existence. The BBC may give it a series, such is the dearth of original ideas, and the collective state of idiocy that has this country producing Open All Hours and Mrs. Brown's Boys whilst the US has Veep, Arrested Development, Community etc. Still I won't be wasting my time and everyone is allowed their opinion, well up to now anyway ha. Anyway as I said in my opinion, pointless waste of time

Looking at the dross masquerading as comedy on all channels I thought this updated version of Porridge was very good. But everybody has an opinion and viewing figures will determine if this gets a full series.

It was better than AYBS. I still prefer the originals though and believe that you can't really recreate classics.

Nothing can compete with the originals especially Porridge, but I enjoyed it as it was and I hope it gets a full series.

I thought, like AYBS?, this would be terrible, but it was actually pretty good.

I really enjoyed this. Kevin Bishop was excellent and quite believable as Fletch's grandson. I liked that he was teamed up with an old lag as his cellmate - nice reverse of the Fletcher/Godber dynamic. The actor who played Mr Meekie was great. I'd like to see this come back for a full series.

A few more comments.

Agree that Kevin Bishop was excellent. Good that Clement and Le Frenais were the writers. Very good that there was a modern spin - and it certainly worked. Probably right not to try to find someone to do the Beckinsale part especially as Bishop is younger than was Barker. I have a feeling that Hugh Dennis could have played the part but it wouldn't have worked age wise with the plot and he wouldn't have been an improvement. And one for make up - the old guy needs to be more convincingly bald.

Glad to hear the BBC ordered six more episodes of this!

I'm also glad to hear this is coming back. Clement and Le Frenais are the men!

Very glad to be getting more of this, surprised I'm even saying that! But it was good!

Im also happy this is getting a run but the BBC are bloody idiots.