Not Going Out? Page 2

Quote: Dave @ 25th August 2016, 9:15 PM

I think it's a good decision to call it Series 8. On the one hand, it may put off any new viewers who think they may be missing something, but on the other hand, it's a great boom for the BBC to say it's been running for x amount of years.

But would it not be an equal claim to say "hey this show is so great it got a sequel"?

Quote: Aaron @ 25th August 2016, 9:17 PM

But would it not be an equal claim to say "hey this show is so great it got a sequel"?

Maybe, but as is saying it has run for - let's say - twelve years and is the BBC's longest-running sitcom in years. It also keeps the name-recognition there. The title may still work as many parents cannot afford a babysitter and are therefore 'not going out' in the evenings.

Quote: Dave @ 25th August 2016, 10:35 PM

Maybe, but as is saying it has run for - let's say - twelve years and is the BBC's longest-running sitcom in years. It also keeps the name-recognition there. The title may still work as many parents cannot afford a babysitter and are therefore 'not going out' in the evenings.

That's exactly why they've stuck with it. I won't break confidences and share some of the potential sequel titles, but they wouldn't have necessarily lost the name-recognition.

The only regret I have is that they didn't milk the will-they-won't-they thing a bit more. They should have made Lee and Lucy the new Lee and Tim and thereby generate some Moonlighting-style tension. Say, have them both in trouble and having to work together to get out of it. They did this sometimes, but not nearly enough, in my view.

I felt they did that in the first series after Tim (the rabbit, stuck in the cable car etc) and in the main, it didn't work and the series as a whole was dreadful.

Lee Mack did try to make a UK version of "Everybody Loves Raymond" with Catherine Tate (I think they made a pilot) but it never went anywhere.

So maybe by calling it "Not Going Out", but now having them married, they can "sort of" make Everybody Loves Raymond without paying the US writers any money !

P.S. I HATE comedy shows with kids in them (except maybe Outnumbered). I sometimes watch Everybody Love Raymond, but as soon as the kids appear I switch off.

O dear a regeneration into 2.4 Kids. vomit bags at the ready, I'm preparing myself for innumbered, this show has been on its deathbed since the great Tim Vine left, life support should be pulled now

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 31st August 2016, 8:46 AM

O dear a regeneration into 2.4 Kids. vomit bags at the ready, I'm preparing myself for innumbered, this show has been on its deathbed since the great Tim Vine left, life support should be pulled now

To be fair, it's not like that. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (if you get over the fact Tim Vine left)

I'll try it, but I must say I haven't enjoyed many of the last few series, and now that the central will they wont they premise is gone I hold out little hope

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 1st September 2016, 4:19 PM

I'll try it, but I must say I haven't enjoyed many of the last few series, and now that the central will they wont they premise is gone I hold out little hope

Oh well! Don't watch it then!

I live in hope, but I was never that keen on it anyway, middle of the road stuff, but at least at one time fairly diverting for half an hour if nothing else was on, so I must admit I'm not really fussed

I just received an email about a Script run through and booked a ticket.

I'm a bit confused because I thought they'd actually recorded the series. Anyway looking forward to next Monday.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th September 2016, 7:51 PM

I just received an email about a Script run through and booked a ticket.

I'm a bit confused because I thought they'd actually recorded the series. Anyway looking forward to next Monday.

Most of the series was recorded earlier in the summer, but a couple of dates were randomly left over till October/November. Details of all dates in the guide.

Is anyone else going?

I went to a script read through earlier this year, and am going to a recording in November. If the read through was anything to go by, I can't wait!