The Other One Page 2

Quote: Tursiops @ 12th August 2009, 1:30 AM BST

I recall it as being a very uncomfortable sitcom to watch. It was Briers first sitcom after The Good Life and everyone was expecting another Tom Good, instead they got perhaps the least likeable character in the history of sitcom. The joke was that everyone could see what a bullshitting loser Briers was, apart from the amiable but dull Gambon, who was so naive he was taken in by him, invariably with disastrous consequences.

You put to words my exact feelings. Much as I tried, I couldn't enjoy this show.

Just brilliant.

A sitcom that needs a sub genre.

Comedy>Sitcom>Double Acts

Briers and Gambon play Ralph and Brian, two socially flawed characters from opposite ends of the spectrum. The whole sitcom is based on this relationship between the extrovert and introvert.

Yes it can be very uncomfortable to watch, but only because of the weakness of their social skills. Ralph being the cringe worthy big head, and Brian being the bookworm bore zzzzzz.

Slighlty dark, especially the 2nd series.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy_chronicles/the-other-one-couldve-done-shouldve-done/

I haven't seen this series but it's nice to read about something obscure in this much depth. Hats off to Graham McCann.

Quote: jsg @ 6th September 2020, 1:51 AM

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comedy_chronicles/the-other-one-couldve-done-shouldve-done/

I haven't seen this series but it's nice to read about something obscure in this much depth. Hats off to Graham McCann.

Yes, he does delve into the subjects he covers. I'll finish reading it with a cup of tea but it's already quite interesting. The title doesn't ring any bells but the stills do of Briers in that get up. I was expecting it to be mid 80s but it was 77-79! Possibly glimpsed it on 3 channel TV while waiting for Citizen Smith to come on but I definitely didn't watch it.

It'll make more sense when I've read the whole thing but from the Briers bitterness about it, I think this may be the thing I've read elsewhere from Briers about his great desire to play against type, but the critics or the fanbase couldn't handle it and he was stuck with the nice man typecast, even though he thought Tom Good was a right old git the fans seemed to love him. :S

Good read.
Looked it up for purchase but at £40 series 1 - I thought a bit pricey .
It looks like its available on youtube - https://youtu.be/AXEr5wq5tvo

Yea just watched it - enjoyable

Was expecting thus to be about the recent enjoyable Holly Walsh scripted sitcom of the same name.

I'm intrigued myself now, Esmonde & Larbey penned, with a great sitcom actor and a few comments saying it wasn't that bad. Will watch one later.

I quite enjoyed it at the time (not a classic but amusing enough). I have thought of it over the years whenever I have seen Michael Gambon in something (and again, recently, when the new - inferior - sitcom with the same name came to our screens) and wondered why it has all but disappeared. I have looked for DVDs in the past but, for some reason, ludicrously expensive.

A bit confusing as there was another sitcom with the same title recently shown featuring Rebecca Front.