Hello!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums but have been a long-time visitor to the site. I'm a huge comedy fan and have been for as long as I can remember.

My mum loved watching sitcoms, and I remember we used to sit together and watch shows like 'Birds of a Feather', 'Desmonds', 'The Brittas Empire', 'Mr Bean' and 'The Upper Hand', to name but a few, back when sitcoms were being screened in the 7pm-9pm slots on their respective channels. My grandparents got me into US comedies, so we'd happily sit and watch re-runs of 'Happy Days', 'Cheers' and 'The Golden Girls'. When I was given a small portable TV for my bedroom, I'd root out shows like 'Roseanne', 'Drop the Dead Donkey', 'Crapston Villas', 'Seinfeld' (when it was on BBC2 in the graveyard slot)...all sorts, really! I didn't always get the jokes! I still recall watching the first episodes of 'Frasier' and 'Father Ted' when they were broadcast for the first time, and count those two amongst my favourites to this day.

I still love watching comedy but tend to go back to my old reliables rather than watching the new stuff. I can't say any new sitcom over the last few years has really grabbed my attention, unfortunately - I've dipped in and out of 'Friday Night Dinner' and 'Man Down' but that's about it. I'm delighted that some of my old favourites, such as 'Red Dwarf' and 'Still Game', are coming back for new series later this year.

Years ago, I wrote a few episodes of my own sitcom but never had the nerve to send them off to any professionals for feedback. But the old passion has reignited and so I'm going to make it my mission for the next wee while to get back into my writing. Who knows? Maybe this time I'll send one off!

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you all in the forums!

Welcome to the siteWave

Quote: Cicero84 @ 20th August 2016, 5:25 PM

I still love watching comedy but tend to go back to my old reliables rather than watching the new stuff.

This is my problem, sometimes. I am too quick to dismiss a lot of new stuff as crap and thus seek solace in older stuff. It's a bad habit.

Wave Welcome!

I basically love every sitcom you mentioned.
I love Channel 4 for showing repeats of Frasier every morning. (They'd better not stop.)