David Brent: Life On The Road Page 2

Thanks for the tip. Will do!

Quote: Aaron @ 5th August 2016, 12:51 PM

"This page lists in alphabetical order the top 20 British film comedies, as determined by a combination of the results of previous polls, award wins, and BCG's visitor data."

:)

Oops! :$ Thanks for pointing that out. Still, I think there are more worthy contenders for the Top 20.

Back to Brent: Can cringe carry a movie? Will the songs save it? Will it follow a plot-driven comedy formula and avoid syrup/saccharine (Brent gains the popular, if not critical, recognition that he so desperately craves) at the end?

I'm not convinced Brent has the flexibility of Partridge, but that said the most recent outing of him on Comic Relief was better than I'd hoped.

So, the reviews seem mostly positive if not wildly enthusiastic. Some of the reviews are of poor quality, most notably that of screendaily.com. whose reviewer apparently never watched the Christmas Special, and writes with staggering wisdom, such as: "with home market the UK likely to yield the richest returns, both theatrically and in ancillary". You don't say? A British comedy is probably going to do its best business in the UK? Well I never.

:D

I love The Office and can easily watch series 1 and 2 followed by the Christmas special and I still get a bit emotional when Dawn comes back to the party at the end. With David finally meeting someone he clicks with and telling Finchy to F off everything is tied up nicely and it's a wonderful ending and way to tie it all up like a nice little shiny gift. There have been bits here and there since then such as specials for Comic Relief but I can remember in interviews at the end of the Christmas special when Ricky said he would never do anything substantial with Brent again. I think doing a movie is pretty substantial and if I'm being cynical this is his way of finding a new and younger audience who have probably never even seen the office. It worked for Steve Coogan in Alpha Papa but I don't think Brent has any milage left. I hope the film is a success but I doubt it will have many famililar faces in it so will just be 90 minutes of Brent around strangers. I bet it doesn't even have Keith in it.

I'm really looking forward to this. Are there any teaser clips anywhere out there yet?

Quote: Reet81 @ 16th August 2016, 6:08 AM

I'm really looking forward to this. Are there any teaser clips anywhere out there yet?

It's always worth checking our guides Reet81, as we try and include all the videos that exist. In this case there's some music videos and a trailer with clips in: https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/life_on_the_road/videos/

I agree with Definately Tarby's sentiments - The Office Christmas Specials were a suitable round off of to the series. That said, I'm going to see the film later on this week, well, once I've finished with agencies (not modelling) and interviews (boo!)

I have to say that I really enjoyed this film when I watched it on Friday. It wasn't perfect and it should have been tied up together better at the end, but it was funny enough to make up for that. Brent is still a great character and it made me laugh numerous times.

I saw the film on Wednesday and am taking my husband to see it again this afternoon (I do have an Unlimited Card, I doubt that I'd pay full price twiceover). I agree with Nick, there are plenty of 'LOL' moments, especially during the publicity photo shoot.

The ending *was* a little weak and almost mirrored the conclusion of The Christmas Specials.

PS: Brent's dog Nelson didn't feature. Bah!

I can't handle the cringe. I never liked The Office because of that. Extras had a little like that, but found that more bearable.