How to work out how much to charge BBC

A question for those on here who are being paid to write (if they're still around!)

I'm doing a slightly less usual job for BBC R&D, which will technically be available online to listen to (it's going to be a bit like a podcast), but as it's R&D it's not technically a 'broadcast' if you see what I mean.

They have asked me to charge them in two sections:

1. A lump sum for the script rights
2. An hourly rate for my time

Most of this job is writing a script that I pitched, but part of the job will also be working with R&D to give a writer's perspective on the new technology they are trialling. I'm guessing that's why they want to go with the hourly rate, because of that extra function of the role, rather than just buy per minute as I would normally expect.

So I've had a look at union rates but it's difficult to know what to go with because they don't have separate agreements for online. The closest is the agreed rate for BBC Radio, but it is calculated the way I would normally expect to be paid - per minute of broadcast.

So I'm a bit lost as to how to work out the going rate having never broken it down this way before. I neither want to massively undersell myself nor demand stupid money.

Has anyone had to charge per hour before and do you have any clue on going rates so I have something to work off?

Talk to the WGGB (Writers Guild of Great Britain).
Worth joining while you're at it.

Thanks :) I've been thinking of joining for a while, it's just difficult to know when it becomes worth it if you see what I mean, but I guess the fact I have this question implies: "now".

Now seems a great time to join. Well done!

Congratulations with this opportunity. I hope it goes well for you.

I don't think the BBC usually charges writers for their time. Just for scripts or royalties of books probably.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 7th August 2016, 12:08 PM

I don't think the BBC usually charges writers for their time. Just for scripts or royalties of books probably.

The BBC don't charge you for anything.
You charge them.

Depends if you're giving them their charge (payment - as you think I'm saying) or offering them your charge (invoice - as Sglen is suggesting). It is confusing.

It is now.
???

Charge is a contronym, it can be have the opposite meaning, like "cleave" or "screen". But being a writer, you'd know that.

Is it?
I know its a noun as well as a verb.
And that it has other meanings.
But the opposite meaning...?

Examples?

None of which changes the fact that the BBC do pay people for their time.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 8th August 2016, 12:56 PM

Depends if you're giving them their charge (payment - as you think I'm saying) or offering them your charge (invoice - as Sglen is suggesting). It is confusing.

You mean, if you're charging or being charged.

Who knows?

???

I find this new message board confusing.

Please, original poster, tell us how you got on, if only to bring this infernal cycle of non sequiturs to an end.

... and we all know which end, don't we... [Albert Awkright Open All Hours]