BCG's new message board Page 3

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th August 2016, 10:31 AM

The change I like the most so far: Mark`s new avatar pic.

Yes, the revamp has aged him 10 years.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 4th August 2016, 7:53 AM

The only reason that websites keep changing (and not just this one) is so that the people in the "website design dept" can justify their existence. Otherwise they would have nothing to do.

If Billy Bunter had surprised the chums of the Remove before, he astonished them now. Not only was Bunter posting without his customary spelling mistakes, which was unusual, but he was becoming cynical of website upgrades, which was unprecedented. Really, the Greyfriars fellows could hardly believe their eyes.
But evidently the fat Owl meant business.
"This change," declared Bunter, waving a chocolate-stained paw at the forum, "is only to keep the web design department fellows in their jobs."
"You ass!" ejaculated Bob Cherry. "This website does not have a highly paid design department. It's just a couple of comedy fans who happen to be tech-savvy."
"Oh, really, Cherry --"
"Wake up, Mauly, and have a look at the new forum," said Bob.
"Yaw-aw-aw!" came from his sleepy lordship.

Thanks for the continued feedback everyone. We are taking it all on board.

Clearly we need to do something about making the Active Threads page easier to find... we're looking into that!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 4th August 2016, 7:53 AM

The only reason that websites keep changing (and not just this one) is so that the people in the "website design dept" can justify their existence. Otherwise they would have nothing to do.

Department... I wish! It's just Aaron and I doing the coding when we can find a moment.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th August 2016, 10:31 AM

The change I like the most so far: Mark`s new avatar pic.

Thanks! As Kenneth says, I've aged a bit!

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th August 2016, 12:08 PM

If Billy Bunter had surprised the chums of the Remove before, he astonished them now. Not only was Bunter posting without his customary spelling mistakes, which was unusual, but he was becoming cynical of website upgrades, which was unprecedented. Really, the Greyfriars fellows could hardly believe their eyes.
But evidently the fat Owl meant business.
"This change," declared Bunter, waving a chocolate-stained paw at the forum, "is only to keep the web design department fellows in their jobs."
"You ass!" ejaculated Bob Cherry. "This website does not have a highly paid design department. It's just a couple of comedy fans who happen to be tech-savvy."
"Oh, really, Cherry --"
"Wake up, Mauly, and have a look at the new forum," said Bob.
"Yaw-aw-aw!" came from his sleepy lordship.

:D

I had no problem at all on my phone before the change , but now it's a bit of a performance getting to it. Easier on the computer but still not as simple as before. Each post seems to take up too much space so yoy don't easily get an overall view of the board

Would it be possible to have the links back to other parts of the forum at the bottom as well as the top? In the old version I think I it was under the thread or under the reply box. I'm clumsy but finding on mobile I keep opening the advertisement when I'm trying to go back. I'm also a bit lazy so it would be good not have to scroll all the way up on the laptop as well.:-)

I miss the old colours. There's too much white and light. It's inhibiting.

I do think the website as a whole is a little busy nowadays, I didn't really notice it until the new forums integrated, as I rarely visited the front page or used the comedy guides. I'd rather adapt to it though, as I'm sure for new users who know no difference will appreciate the layout.

I think it's a spanking new look with a lot of clever design detail. As clueless in IT as I am I trained as a printer and can still spot a good print design and this is an excellent job dotting the whole frame with eye pleasing detail.

Having said that the type has shrunk to such a tiny size I'm having great rouble typing out my posts. Ah I see, fiendish.Pirate

The altnernating post colours, would personally try different colours to the yellow-blue combo. Would be more dynamic looking with a red-stronger blue combo imo, more attracting to punters. It currently looks like a Robin Reliant salesroom.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th August 2016, 12:55 PM

Would be more dynamic looking with a red-stronger blue combo imo,

Yep. The colours do look a bit samey at the moment, doesn`t feel like a real interaction between the posters...I know that may sound illogical and stupid because "in the old days" all the posts had the same colour . But the new colour combination doesn`t really motivate me to read and to post. Or maybe it something else. Something in the new version makes it very hard for me to follow a thread, grasp it`s essence ... I feel lazy when I look a the board and don`t care anymore in the end. Maybe it`s just me.

I definitely won`t storm off as some stalwarts seem to have done (maybe they`re just bluffing; and I hope they`ll return) but nevertheless I^m seriously worried I may slowly lose interest in the boards. As I`ve explained earlier, it`s not that I can`t find the right buttons, it`s just that the new style doesn`t grab my attention in the same way the old one did.

Well, I like the yellow.

I think red and stronger blue would make text hard to read.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 6th August 2016, 1:37 PM

Yep. The colours do look a bit samey at the moment, doesn`t feel like a real interaction between the posters...I know that may sound illogical and stupid because "in the old days" all the posts had the same colour . But the new colour combination doesn`t really motivate me to read and to post. Or maybe it something else. Something in the new version makes it very hard for me to follow a thread, grasp it`s essence ... I feel lazy when I look a the board and don`t care anymore in the end. Maybe it`s just me.

I definitely won`t storm off as some stalwarts seem to have done (maybe they`re just bluffing; and I hope they`ll return) but nevertheless I^m seriously worried I may slowly lose interest in the boards. As I`ve explained earlier, it`s not that I can`t find the right buttons, it`s just that the new style doesn`t grab my attention in the same way the old one did.

I really think that's just because it's new. After a few weeks you'll settle in and barely even be able to remember what the old place looked like.

At least that's how it's always been for me on other forums that change their design.

Quote: zooo @ 6th August 2016, 1:43 PM

Well, I like the yellow.

I think red and stronger blue would make text hard to read.

Then why be a slave to black type?! What's wrong with the white print on colour above? Looks great so why not have all posts in white type on strong colours? Everyone in design knows red is a pull you in colour, and strong colours impress far more than washy ones.

I think it's grey text.

I would hate a red background, personally. From experience, reading a chunk of white text on a black or dark background is extremely unpleasant, and makes your eyes go funny for ages afterwards.

Go and find a site designed like that and try it. I almost guarantee your eyes will hate it!

Re: the colours. We did try all sorts (including red)... you'd be surprised how bad some of them ended up looking!

Quote: reds @ 6th August 2016, 6:35 AM

Would it be possible to have the links back to other parts of the forum at the bottom as well as the top? In the old version I think I it was under the thread or under the reply box.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th August 2016, 2:02 AM

Yes, an ACTIVE THREADS button/link on every Forum page, at the top and bottom would be helpful.

If you look below the "Fast reply box" now... proof we are listening to feedback :)