BBC Writers Room Comedy Submission

As all of you may know its been a number of months since the deadline closed for the bbc writers room comedy sitcom submissions.

I have yet to hear back from the BBC on how far my submission reached. A lot of me is thinking that this is not a good sign, and that the rejection emails are sent later, when they have more time. Because surely, if your submission passed their criteria, they'd be on the phone to you asap.

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard back from them, or if anyone has experience with the bbc writers room when it comes to timeframes etc.

I apologise for the post & I know I should just wait for an email. But I'm very impatient, which can be a curse if you're trying to be a comedy writer.

And good luck to all the other comedy writers out there!

Hello
As far as I know from previous years, they send all the emails, good or not, on the same day, quite often on a Friday. And it takes a long time because they're a small team and they get hundreds of submissions.
So don't fret, hold tight, and good luck!
:)

Had 2 replies so far saying, basically, 'please be patient, we've got loads of submissions'.
Which I don't guess means anything more than exactly that.

Thanks for the responses. I guess patience is a necessity in this game.

No responses for me yet. I'm assuming it'll come in a gold envelope delivered by limo.

I get all my rejections like that. Sweetens the pill...

Quote: Bomsh @ 28th June 2016, 11:53 PM BST

Had 2 replies so far saying, basically, 'please be patient, we've got loads of submissions'.
Which I don't guess means anything more than exactly that.

Erm, yeah, turns out I meant the BBC Comedy Producer thing not writers room and was on the wrong thread. Sorry.

From memory, and just looking back through the old BBC blogs, there is normally something by now.

No idea why it is both taking so long, and there has been no update about it.

They took so long because the had over 2000 scripts to get through.

Oh, by the way, I received an email from WR tonight telling me I'm through to the second round, i.e. another reader reading 20 - 30 pages of my script.

Anybody else get the hallowed email?

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ 4th August 2016, 10:31 PM

They took so long because the had over 2000 scripts to get through.

Oh, by the way, I received an email from WR tonight telling me I'm through to the second round, i.e. another reader reading 20 - 30 pages of my script.

Anybody else get the hallowed email?

Nope but well done. Keep us posted.

Some of these 2000 scripts were written in crayon, though. I think the real reason is that they have other jobs.

EDIT: I honestly didn't see the user name of the person who started this thread.

Has anyone who's script made it through the first read heard anything back yet? I get the feeling that no response after this long is probably a bad thing, just wondering whether I can dash my own hopes, or will the crushing rejection come in a stock email?

And as if by magic, I got the 2nd round rejection email this afternoon. On to the next one I suppose...

i have checked all my Emails and i can't find any relating my BBC effort, good or bad??

J26

Did you get the initial email saying you'd made it through the first round of reads? If not, maybe check the writersroom website to see if it actually submitted properly in the first place. Because from my experience, you get a bad email from the bbc if they don't want the script, whatever stage you made it to. I suppose if you haven't heard anything it could be good news, but I'd check everything twice first.