BCG's new message board

This month the BCG message board turns 10 years old. Since we launched it, over 1 million posts have been made in over 30,000 threads. Amazing. It's about time it was brought into the modern age then! So here, at last, is our new-look.

We hope you like it. It's been designed to be a bit easier to use, and to work well on mobile phones (at last!).

Change takes a little while to get used to, so if you don't like things at first please do give yourself a little time to adjust. There are still a few further changes to come; meanwhile we'd welcome feedback either via this thread, or by email (contact@comedy.co.uk). Fingers crossed there aren't too many bugs to find!

In the desire to make things clutter-free and faster, signatures and online statuses are no more - sorry! Counselling is available :)

Next time you visit, the software will help you pick up reading where you left off by showing little blue 'new' icons. Click on one of these to take you to the next post in that thread. You can mark everything as read via the button at the bottom of the forum homepage.

Links to Active Threads and Search can now be found above the advert at the top (or, on mobile, via the slideout menu).

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Mark & Aaron

If you haven't already, do head to your account to refresh your profile... is it maybe time for a new avatar?

Quote: Mark @ 3rd August 2016, 3:04 AM

Change takes a little while to get used to, so if you don't like things at first please do give yourself a little time to adjust.

Compared to updates of other websites/forums, this is pretty smooth. Thanks for all time and effort to get it mobile-friendly.

It's different, very different! But I can see getting used to it and everything does look nice. Well done!

Old git here.......................I don't like it. If it works why fix it - seen too many web sites ruined by "improvements"
The Active Page was much clearer with the previous for example.

"It's been designed to be a bit easier to use" So far..........nope.

"There are still a few further changes to come" Oh no.

"In the desire to make things clutter-free and faster, signatures and online statuses are no more" Shame, and doesn't seem to be any faster, or is this all to make the mobile phone users happy.

Ok, not having a whole page across I'm not keen on, feels a bit crammed in but will just have to carry extra strength Polo mints and a can of 24 hour Right Guard should any undesirables get a bit too cosy...

Well done guys, you do look after us and 'tis still the best site on 'tnet.

To be fair, this website has been through several changes. I'm still bitter about the whole BSG to BCG thing but that's life.

This site has to roll with the times, it has competition and whilst I imagine it will always exist in someway, whatever happens because of Mark and Aaron's passion for comedy, it has to go up against the big boys to be sustainable.

One thing, I'm surprised you haven't implemented a live preview for a new or editing post or thread?

Also, where's the buttons to add quick BB Codes for those of us too lazy or ignorant to type and/or learn them all?

Quote: Kenneth @ 3rd August 2016, 4:15 AM

Compared to updates of other websites/forums, this is pretty smooth. Thanks for all time and effort to get it mobile-friendly.

Quote: Lee @ 3rd August 2016, 9:12 AM

It's different, very different! But I can see getting used to it and everything does look nice. Well done!

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 3rd August 2016, 9:58 AM

Well done guys, you do look after us and 'tis still the best site on 'tnet.

Thanks!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd August 2016, 9:50 AM

I don't like it. If it works why fix it - seen too many web sites ruined by "improvements"

Truth is Hercules, it wasn't working so it did need fixing. The technology was causing us problems and over 50% of readers of this site are now browsing via mobile phones and tablets... and the forums were almost unusable on those devices.

Change is tough and does take time to get used to. I remember hating it when Facebook changed its layout, but realise in hindsight the changes they made were good ones.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd August 2016, 9:50 AM

The Active Page was much clearer with the previous for example.

Oh! Um... what's different? I'd be interested to hear your feedback.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd August 2016, 10:01 AM

Oh and the Search Our Forums is still pretty useless.

What are you searching for that doesn't work? We'll keep evolving these things if we can get helpful feedback.

(This website is free to use, but costs us time and money to run... if you fancy paying us though, I'll happily make you your very own forums view... we can even put the old red header back just for you :) )

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 3rd August 2016, 9:58 AM

Ok, not having a whole page across I'm not keen on, feels a bit crammed in but will just have to carry extra strength Polo mints and a can of 24 hour Right Guard should any undesirables get a bit too cosy...

Do they still sell Polos?

The new layout will admittedly take some getting used to... but the sidebar potentially helps the text lines from not being too wide (the eyes get tired reading lines that are really long and lose their place easier... lazy eyes). Plus we get to plug our other content of course Smarmy

Quote: Lee @ 3rd August 2016, 10:27 AM

One thing, I'm surprised you haven't implemented a live preview for a new or editing post or thread?

Also, where's the buttons to add quick BB Codes for those of us too lazy or ignorant to type and/or learn them all?

It seems most people just post, and then edit if they realise something came out wrong.

We're working on a editor that people can format their posts with... it's a challenge to get it working on all browsers and devices though, so felt a bit of a risk to try and launch it at the same time as other major changes. We're going to try and not give Hercules a heart attack :) Smarmy

Thanks and well done.

I would give it a thumbs up icon if there was a thumbs up icon.

Quote: Mark @ 3rd August 2016, 10:32 AM

Thanks!

Truth is Hercules, it wasn't working so it did need fixing. The technology was causing us problems and over 50% of readers of this site are now browsing via mobile phones and tablets... and the forums were almost unusable on those devices.

As I feared, catering for the young IT savvy nerds of today's people, as I sit here in my wicker bath chair with my ZX Spectrum on me lap.......fair enough, we dinosaurs can see the light at the end of the tunnel, or not.

Thanks!

Oh! Um... what's different? I'd be interested to hear your feedback.

I seem to remember ( :$ ) the colour scheme was clearer.

Thanks!

What are you searching for that doesn't work?

I did actually delete that post, as I withdraw my two octave conk punch.

Thanks!

We're going to try and not give Hercules a heart attack :) Smarmy

Mr Thynne's nurse here.....................you are too late. :(

I like it - we'll all soon be used to it, even the late Mr Thynne.

While you are about it can you put a repeat copy of the ACTIVE PAGES link at the bottom of the page?

Because that's where we actually are when wanting to click it, but we have always had to jump to the top pf page to use it.

:)

Rolling eyesGeek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And what happenned to the little link to our personal next new message ?

I remember talking to Aaron about it, asking how on earth you provided that and I know his reply implied that it is very "expensive" to implement (I've never done it on any of my websites) so perhaps you (all) decided to give up doing it ?

:(Teary

It does make it look like that odd thing that was attached to the old forums.

So in terms of the cosmetics and use on smart phones I guess it was the way to go.

Do I like it - it doesnae matter at all - just as long as it stops all those arseholes contributing their drivel!

Frank :)

Cues next poster to confirm that it doesn't and the evidence being my post! Kissing

Also, it's not obvious on the Active Threads which forum a post is in.

Quote: billwill @ 3rd August 2016, 2:31 PM

And what happenned to the little link to our personal next new message ?

I remember talking to Aaron about it, asking how on earth you provided that and I know his reply implied that it is very "expensive" to implement (I've never done it on any of my websites) so perhaps you (all) decided to give up doing it?

Click the little 'New' label next to a thread topic to be taken to the first post you've not read.