What are you watching on TV? Page 2,089

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th July 2016, 11:20 AM BST

Happened to catch a bit of Catchphrase, which I hadn't seen since Roy Walker's days and still amazed at how thick people still are...................

So the graphic is a motor coach with big arrow pointed at it going along the road and everything, including a tortoise is overtaking it, which bleeding obviously is "Slow Coach"

Contestant buzzes.............................
"Turtle slow as a bus"

Host "No"

Same contestant has another go..............
"Ah! I've got it now..............."Tortoise slow as a bus"

Bemused Host " Er, no! Forget the tortoise"

Same contestant............
"Slow Bus"

Host "No, but you're nearly there............"

Same man again...............
"Ah, ah................Slow as a Bus"

At this point the host and the audience lose the will to live - talk about thick as two short planks.

The producers choose contestants wisely ;-) for they know that if the contestant guesses it too quickly (and before the audience does) then there is no satisfaction for those watching who just love to moan about how stupid the contestants are, savvy?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th July 2016, 11:20 AM BST

Happened to catch a bit of Catchphrase, which I hadn't seen since Roy Walker's days and still amazed at how thick people still are...................

So the graphic is a motor coach with big arrow pointed at it going along the road and everything, including a tortoise is overtaking it, which bleeding obviously is "Slow Coach"

Contestant buzzes.............................
"Turtle slow as a bus"

Host "No"

Same contestant has another go..............
"Ah! I've got it now..............."Tortoise slow as a bus"

Bemused Host " Er, no! Forget the tortoise"

Same contestant............
"Slow Bus"

Host "No, but you're nearly there............"

Same man again...............
"Ah, ah................Slow as a Bus"

At this point the host and the audience lose the will to live - talk about thick as two short planks.

I really can't watch that because as you say they are so unbelievably stupid!

Agreed

Trainspotting Live that has been on BBC4 for the last three nights with Peter Snow et al and despite a lack of anorak I found it a very interesting 3 hours, learning a lot about current railway stock with quite a bit of history and maths thrown in. :D

The Rack Pack about Alex Higgins' demise after Steve Davis came on the scene - I enjoyed it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th July 2016, 9:53 AM BST

The Rack Pack about Alex Higgins' demise after Steve Davis came on the scene - I enjoyed it.

I recorded that.

Watched The Secret Agent which I was really looking forward to. One of my favourite books, adapted by one of my favourite screenwriters, Tony Marchant, with a top-notch cast. Hoping it might hit the heights of the superb War And Peace.

Very disappointing. Felt flat and stilted, and the characters/performances/direction of the actors felt far too contemporary, none more so than Vicky McClure as Winnie, who came across as if it was set in 2016. All of the actors seemed to struggle with this, to some degree. Toby Jones and Ian Hart coped better than most.

The most interesting moment, which was chilling in its current topicality was when The Professor opened his coat to reveal his suicide vest, which he wore wherever he went.

Really interested to hear others' opinions on this series.

Caught the start of Alan Yentob's Imagine prog. on Cornelia Parker last night and sat in wonderment as to why people get sucked in by this "art".

What an utter load of bollocks.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 30th July 2011, 9:40 PM BST

Fool Us. Well, that was weird.

Now in a third series. But no longer with Jonathan Ross as host. Instead, it's Alyson Hannigan. Never thought I would miss watching Jonathan Ross and his "subtle" style. Penn as vituperative as ever.

The avengers on True Entertainment. A black and white Emma Peel edition.

There was a woman who said "It's because I'm Chinese" and it was only then I realised she was supposed to be. Why couldn't they have used Tsai Chin?

"Keith Richards - The Origin of the Species".................

....absolutely f**king superb!!! Keith as a talking head about his life from birth to the very minute he met Mick Jagger again on a Dartford suburban train, with archive film of that period in his life.

If you think you will be seeing Rolling Stone vids, then forget it - this is pure nostalgia for us post war Baby Boomers (Keith is about one year older than me) and I loved every minute of it.

Keith was brilliant and well done to the director Julien Temple for putting the whole package together with a lot of archive film I had never seen before.

This for me is what television is all about and it is a crying shame there is not more of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07m8n2v

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th July 2016, 11:31 AM BST

....absolutely f**king superb!!! Keith as a talking head about his life from birth to the very minute he met Mick Jagger again on a Dartford suburban train, with archive film of that period in his life.

If you think you will be seeing Rolling Stone vids, then forget it - this is pure nostalgia for us post war Baby Boomers (Keith is about one year older than me) and I loved every minute of it.

Keith was brilliant and well done to the director Julien Temple for putting the whole package together with a lot of archive film I had never seen before.

This for me is what television is all about and it is a crying shame there is not more of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07m8n2v

I agree. It was quite a treat.

Nice to see Keith laughing so much, and the director and sound person did a great job making sure we could hear what Keith said, and that he didn't mumble.

The archive material and reconstructions had an almost dizzying kaleidoscopic effect, coming so thick and fast. I feel I'd need to watch it four, or five times to properly absorb it all.

I know Radish is no Stones fan Wave , but I think you'd enjoy it too, in terms of social history and Keith's independent spirit.

Herc, did you see Julien Temple's documentary about London?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1937419/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_8

That had some good archive material too, and was fun.

I also watched the The Marvellous World of Roald Dahl which was on just before, and which I heartily recommend. I'd read a biography about him, so I already knew what an inspiration he was, and how fascinating his life was, but it also had some great archive and new interviews, and was very nicely done.

I watched some of the first episode of Eden as I liked the concept of people thrown together on a beautiful island and starting from scratch but turned off as it seemed all it was about was who was copping off with who within what seemed like moments of arrival.
In fact I couldn't Adam and Eve how bad it was.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th July 2016, 11:31 AM BST

....absolutely f**king superb!!!

Language Timothy!

Quote: George Kaplan @ 25th July 2016, 3:36 PM BST

Herc, did you see Julien Temple's documentary about London?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1937419/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_8

That had some good archive material too, and was fun.

No I didn't see that and it is not on YouTube which is a shame.

Quote: George Kaplan @ 25th July 2016, 3:36 PM BST

I also watched the The Marvellous World of Roald Dahl which was on just before, and which I heartily recommend. I'd read a biography about him, so I already knew what an inspiration he was, and how fascinating his life was, but it also had some great archive and new interviews, and was very nicely done.

Yes, watched that - very good and surprised about him wanting Spike Milligan for the part in the original Willy Wonka film, not liking Gene Wilder and Spike shaving his beard off for the part and then not getting it! Oh dear. >_<

Oh god, I'm so glad Gene Wilder got it. I love him in the part, and Spike has always scared the bejesus out of me.