Why, hello there

Hello. I'm a 26 year old american girl who has a slightly unhealthy obsession with British comedy, who has nobody to talk to about it. I'm hoping to meet a couple of people who share some of my interests (check out my profile if you're curious).

I did a degree in analytic philosophy and a graduate degree in gerontology and spend my free time painting and doing digital art. For a brief (manic) period, I wrote a bunch of sets and aspired to try my hand at stand up but ultimately chickened out. I have a lot of respect for anyone who has got farther than I did.

One of my biggest dreams in life is to make it to a Fringe festival before I die. (I've never been abroad).

I'm looking for friends to chat with who share my love of British comedy, so please contact me if you feel so inclined. The best I get around here in my hick town in the NW of the USA is bumping into the occasional person who has seen a Python film or two.

I need more. I'm always on the lookout for recommendations to expand my repertoire and people to geek out on about the things I find most hilarious.

...Oh, and I'm legitimately mad. (but hopefully not in a bad way).

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 25th July 2016, 1:23 AM BST

I did a degree in analytic philosophy and a graduate degree in gerontology

So you can help the elderly put their thoughts into a logical and structured order? Plenty of call for that in these parts.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 25th July 2016, 1:23 AM BST

I'm always on the lookout for recommendations to expand my repertoire

Brass Eye is good. If you've not already seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYSqqW6hH0w

Something along those lines...well, not really. I'm trying to carve out a career teaching music and art to people with dementia, parkinson's, and/or stroke. I've done a lot of caregiving for elderly folks and logic tends to go out the window pretty quickly in conversation, but in some pretty hilarious and unexpected ways. I guess the bit I took from the philosophy degree has to do with ethics and what makes for a good life. Happiness seems to be the main thrust, so I want to try to bring happiness to a population I care deeply for, namely, the elderly. I guess comedians aim for something along those lines as well. At least the speading happiness bit.

Thank you very much for the recommendation! I'll definitely check it out.

That's a noble calling.

There was a Britcom about the elderly called Waiting for God: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVXFixVMXfI&list=PLi-J8Y0Z3kivFx28SblEDjvY8yyZDljDF

I've heard of that one but haven't watched it yet. I'll put it on my list. Thanks again.

You've come to the right place here, Davida! One of our best-loved comedians, Jo Brand, used to be a psychiatric nurse.

Yes, you should watch her in Getting On!
Not to suggest that you can only watch sitcoms about old and/or sick people, obv.

I've been scouring the internet for a while to find Getting On, but my searches have mainly turned up...other things that I won't mention.

I do love Jo.

Thanks, all!

Having just looked at your profile (after replying to another thread) you have impeccable tastes.

Welcome to the forum - from someone who is fairly new here myself.

Thank you very much! That means a lot.

It's hard to know in the tiny cultural vacuum that is my town, whether or not I have half-decent taste in British comedy or not. All I have to go by are the reactions of friends on the rare occasion when I get to choose a show to put on. I'm usually met with confusion, unfortunately. People here just don't know what they're missing. Hopefully I'll be able to convert at least one local, someday. Hopefully, on a loftier goal, I'll be able to actually go to the UK and experience the scene first hand. Someday...